CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

please help a noob+pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help a noob+pics

you have to bare with me on this one, tryin to explain my best...ok well i have a 98 f3 and today started it up took it for a ride up the street,came bak and i have massive amounts of gas just pouring out the drain hose thats connected to another thicker hose? and i think thats connected to under the tank and it only happens when i turn the bike on..obviously? what the hell could it be?

plus a pic..just picked her up about a week ago..let me know what u think

Old 03-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Can you get some closeup pictures of the hoses in question ? It would help identify where the problem might be. Clear and sharp pictures are best.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:55 PM

Is the hose that's leaking connected to a T with two other hoses also connected? If you remove your fuel tank and seat, you'll see a hose running from the tank to the filter and from there onto the fuel pump. Once coming out of the pump it leads to under the fuel tanks original location and you should run into a T connector attached to 2 hoses running into your carbs.

Last edited by kwan1123; 03-17-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:03 PM

sure i can get pics and yup it is connected to a T

Old 03-17-2009, 11:16 PM

Check to see if you can see where the leak is coming from on that hose, than to the best of my knowledge you should turn your fuel line off and remove the hose from the T connector and the fuel pump and take it where you can get it replaced. Reverse the above and you should be good to go.

Also note this was to the BEST of my knowledge and I'm completely new to this. Good luck

Old 03-18-2009, 12:33 PM

yeah get a pic of it to be sure but it sounds like it the line from after the pump to the center of the tee fitting. If it is on the fitting that it is leaking you may be able to just clamp it

Old 03-18-2009, 09:35 PM

I met the owner today and looked at this. It's more shocking than I thought it was.

Once the bike is started and running, fuel POURS out of this "drain line" coming from the bottom of the "inner air filter" which connects to the air solenoid. I do not quite understand how fuel ever enters the solenoid considering it is connected to the carbs via vacuum lines, not fuel.

I'll dig up a pic on the internet or something to show you guys.

This is the 1st f3 i've ever seen other than my own and i rode it without the lower fairings so that the fuel could leak onto the asphalt as i rode it at low speed. It ran very rough, like it was choking and ultimately stalled. A huge difference from the smoothness and power band of my own.

We noticed it is equipped with a K&N air filter but didn't take the carbs off yet to see how the jetting is.

Last edited by f3BikeR; 03-18-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:47 PM

weird problem. upload up close pictures when you can.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:35 PM

hmmm, interesting!

Ok now it only leaks fuel when the petcock is turned on and the ignition is engaged.

So there is no fuel leaking before the ignition is turned on so that means the leak is somewhere on the fuel line after it leaves the pump.

If it was before the pump fuel would leak as soon as the petcock is turned to the on position.

F3bikerR says fuel is coming out of the inner fresh air line air filter, interesting to say the least.

hmmmm, this is weird.

I wonder if the fuel line out of the pump to the T then to the fuel rails is split and possibly spraying fuel on the line filter and this is what F3bikerR is seeing?

I had a OEM fuel line work fine one day and then split wide open the next on the F3.

I think the fuel line out of the pump has failed.

Get some pics posted so we can take a look see, also let us know what was the problem.

SIRR1

BTW sweet SJ's F3!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by SIRR1

Ok now it only leaks fuel when the petcock is turned on and the ignition is engaged.
correct~

So there is no fuel leaking before the ignition is turned on so that means the leak is somewhere on the fuel line after it leaves the pump.
Correct!

If it was before the pump fuel would leak as soon as the petcock is turned to the on position.
Correct.

F3bikerR says fuel is coming out of the inner fresh air line air filter, interesting to say the least.

hmmmm, this is weird.
Very weird!

I wonder if the fuel line out of the pump to the T then to the fuel rails is split and possibly spraying fuel on the line filter and this is what F3biker is seeing?

I think the fuel line out of the pump has failed.
I'd prefer it to be simply a split/rotted fuel line that is leaking/spraying (which is what I expected to see when I visited the owner's house), but it's more 'serious'.

The fuel MUST be coming back out of the carbs out of the vacuum lines that connect to the air solenoid switch. It has two that come into it from the carbs and the fuel is entering these lines, I suspect, in order to leak through the solenoid and ultimately out of the 'drain' line of the inner air filter!

If you have your left fairing off and you locate this inner air filter, you'll notice the drain line coming out of the bottom of it. NOW IMAGINE FUEL LEAKING/POURING OUT OF IT WHEN THE BIKE STARTS AND IS RUNNING! (it played with my mind a lot!)

Quick Reply: please help a noob+pics