CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Plastic

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic

So recently there was a "inland hurricane" where I live which is Carbondale, IL. We just got power last night and this storm took place last Friday. The winds hit in excess of 100+ mph. This storm tipped my 98 F3 over the kick stand and messed up the left side. I think it is beyond the epoxy fix. I am looking for some new plastic.

What do you think is the best thing for me to do. I didn't know if I should order some of the Hong Kong plastic that is all over ebay or what I should do. I don't have enough money to buy all replacement oem stuff. The right side has a few pieces broken just from the shock of that much weight hitting the ground.

If anyone has any suggestions please post. I love these forums and hopefully you will help a fellow F3er out.

Thanks again.

Jason

Old 05-13-2009, 04:42 PM

I'm new to the CBRs and sport bikes in general but I can tell you the little bit I know. I just picked up a 97 CBR 600 that was laid down. The guy bought one of those Hong Kong kits. The reason he sold the bike is that he couldn't get the kit to fit properly. With a little bit of tweaking I was able to get things to line up decent. It's not perfect but it looks ok and unless you were looking for flaws you wouldn't notice. I would say the worst part was getting the headlight to fit. The mounting holes didn't line up and had to be cut off and epoxied into the correct position.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:01 PM

All i Realy have to ask you is, How much do you love your bike? Yes you most likley could find a good deal on hongkong stuff, But if you have the money to spend to get the real stuff go with that. Seems pretty stupid when you could save that money, but really knowing that you are getting something that works is worth it.

And check with your insurance, they might help you out because of the weather? im no sure but its worth a try

Old 05-15-2009, 10:51 PM

Be careful buying the fiberglass pieces on Ebay. Unless its by one of the big names like say sharkskinz. It tends to be really thin.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:40 PM

I don't have full coverage so insurance thing is a no go. I think I am going to end up trying to do something with my plastic that got messed up.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also did the Hong Kong thing. Not a perfect fit, but other than the center cowl headlight problem, it wasn't too bad. And it's a big improvement over what I had before. It just comes down to how much you want to spend. I couldn't justify spending too much for cosmetics on what is, after all, a twelve-year-old bike. Maybe I just don't love my bike enough!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Default Storm damage

Yes I heard you all got spanked pretty good, and Southern Illinois was hit pretty hard also, Lake Kinkaid is about 5 miles from you and they have 10's of millions of dollars in damage to boats in the marina.

BTW the Northern eye wall of the storm went right over my house in Belleville Illinois, we had high winds in the 60's and between 3-5 inches of rain in around 3 hours and it was a mess.

I heard horror stories of seniors trapped in homes without power and phone for 4-5 days and near death from dehydration when finally rescued so I am glad to hear you’re not injured and only your bike was damaged which is repairable.

IMHO would try and find good OEM plastic in the bike original color before going Chinese.

You can find the parts you need on Ebay for around 1/2 the price of new plastic, I have 2 lower left panels on ebay right now for sale, hint hint!

PM me if you need help finding parts!

SIRR1