CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

"out of gas" bogging on freeway!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "out of gas" bogging on freeway!!

Hi all,

My '97 600 F3 has been bogging down as if "out of gas" despite a FULL tank.
I pull over, and try to give it some gas/pull in the clutch, but it justsputters and dies. It starts right up again.

some details:
- usually presents itself on freeway/highway speeds after 5-15 mins riding
- Once the problem has first occurred (@ hwy speed) it usually recurs once I pull over to the side roads and will die every 5 mins or so.
- happens on a full tank or 1/3 full, doesn't matter.

Also: running hot?
The bottom of the fuel tank is noticeably hot to the touch on my legs. It's not burning me, but I dont remember this happening before. Bike seems to run a bit hot, (2/3-3/4 of the way on the temp scale). Not sure if this is related.

Tank is full, coolant is full, everything else works fine.

Additional Info:
- 3rd Owner
- 33k miles.
- Starts fine (just replaced regulator/rectifier)
- Bike has been tipped over before, but just in parking lot.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know! Thanks!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:45 PM

I am having the same problem with my 97 F3. I saw this post https://cbrforum.com/forum/stickies-...l-pump-102151/ I have the part on order but it won't get here till the end of the month once it comes in I will let you know if it fix's the problem. It sucked for me just got off the free way and it died and had to push the bike to the gas station and some homeless guy walks up "hey I saw you struggling with your bike" just wanted to smack him opened the tank up and it was about half way and couldn't get it to start. Went in the gas station gave the girl 5 bucks put that in to top off the tank and it fired back up with no problems. It did it again the other day on a full tank.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:06 PM

My 98 has done that the last few times ive got on the interstate. Runs great for 10 min then starts losing power. Full throttle and I was going about 60. Im hoping its just from putting ethanol gas in it cause it was running fine when I ran 100% gas in it. Im gonna drain the gas and get some 100% tomarrow so we'll see what happens...

Old 08-10-2011, 11:01 AM

Not trying to thread jack here but I pulled my seat and it looks like I have no fuel pump. Ive been riding it on the interestate to work for the past week or so and it has been fine untill yesterday it did the "running out of gas thing". Im just wondering why it wasnt dying the other times ive been on the interstate. Im assuming this is where my fuel pump should be right?
Name:  fuelpump1.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  123.4 KB

Also can anyone tell me what hoses and wires need to run to the fuel pump?
Name:  fuelpump.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  126.3 KB

Im thinking about trying one of the AirTex Master brand fuel pumps from the auto parts store. Thanx for any input guys.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:14 PM

Ok is the fuel pump wires the one with the black plug attached to blue/black and solid green wires? I think its actually visable in the pic I posted.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by candyf3
Ok is the fuel pump wires the one with the black plug attached to blue/black and solid green wires? I think its actually visable in the pic I posted.
correct, it's the black plug that is setting right above your rear shock in the pic's, green wire is the neg (-) blue black is the positive (+)

stock fuel line is 5/16, buy about 3 foot from the autoparts store when you hook it up, and also buy a inline filter. Hose and filter will be less then 10 bucks

Old 08-10-2011, 03:37 PM

also the stock mount is that mount that sits under the idle adjustment screw you can zip tie the airtex fuel pump back to that spot when you get one, Its really the best place to mount it

Old 08-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Default hope these help

Hope these pictures help

Attached Thumbnails "out of gas" bogging on freeway!!-img-20110810-00076.jpg   "out of gas" bogging on freeway!!-img-20110810-00077.jpg  
Old 08-11-2011, 08:54 PM

yep that is where the fuel pump should be. the bike will run with out it but it will not run well. its crazy how 3 psi will make your bike run like a raped ape.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:49 PM

what airtex fuel pump are u guys using? do u have a part number? i notice that most of the airtex fuel pumps are about the same price as just replacing the contacts in the stock f3 fuel pumps, i wouldnt mind buying a back up pump! better safe than sorry

Quick Reply: "out of gas" bogging on freeway!!