CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

An opinion filled with conjecture!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An opinion filled with conjecture!

So I am looking at Craigslist, Ebay and other various venues looking at CBR600 F3 bikes and parts.... like I have been doing for quite a while now.
I am tired of reading the same old ads and posting of what seems to be leftovers of teardowns and the plethora of crap Chinese aftermarket crap. It seems that there fewer and fewer posts for good usable engine and suspension parts... every once in a while something pops up but most of the ads again are for BS nobody wants....
Maybe I'm missing the boat, off the mark or just plain ignorant but there seems to be something wrong here! Are the F3's both in parts and bikes drying up? But more important to me is the market for good quality racing parts.. I know these bikes are ancient in the grand Scheme of things but at some point they were all that and everyone who wanted to go fast had one... and so I would think that tons of parts would still be available for track use and racing. But it is frustrating not only to find parts but good solid info on building race motors.. Yeah there is all kinds of vague comments and postings touching on the subject but after reading just about every post on this site that has to do with the F2 & F3, not to mention all the other forums and web pages I find a lot of questions asked about building the motor but very little concrete to point to....
After all these years I would have thought there would be much more out there!
Ok I'm done ranting and now invite you all to thrash and trash me and tell what a dumbass I am and how wrong I am on all points!!! I hope to be proven wrong and led to the nirvana of f3 racing goodies!!!

Old 08-26-2013, 05:34 PM

Part of racing is staying up to date with technology and bike advancements. Companies that made race parts in 1998 move on to new bikes etc. I can see why you can't find anything 15 years later. And what was made has been wrecked by now. If you want to make it faster I know you can bore it to a 636cc. You can put some f2 carbs on it for more fuel and air. Jet it obviously. Sproket set up. Anything else like Carbon fiber rims and up just wouldn't be wise. It would cost more than bike is worth.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:14 PM

All of your points are well founded and on their face seem to dictate the constant of our sport. More, newer, faster and better. But the f3 is not a flash in the pan design. By all accounts it is a extremely popular model.. even 15 years after the last bike rolled off the line. The motor has been used in countless configurations across both the 2 and 4 wheel worlds.
We obviously are willing to spend money for parts for this bike and by the number of posts on this board alone you would think aftermarket performance brands would offer more than just chains, grips and pistons.. at a fairly reasonable price. There seems to be a market there for more and I am surprised the niche has not been filled. On the other side of my argument is the historical documentation... it's not like anyone is going to win a superbike championship in MotoGP or AMA Pro on a F3 so why has not more of the team and factory secrets from back in the days become common knowledge? You can find bits and pieces but a lot else...
I'm not trying to flame this board or be a troll but I am interested in getting some more info out there on this great bike that fans can use and to maybe spark some interest in the racing aspect because it's still an excellent bike to get started in...