CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Oil drain plug came out, now bike rattles

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 04:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil drain plug came out, now bike rattles

I'm wondering how much damage I could have caused and what I should look at first. The bike runs fine, about the same as it ever did, though I did have to turn up the idle screw to get it to do so, which I thought was weird. Not sure how long the bike was out of oil because I had the low oil pressure light covered with my gps. Bike started bucking a little then dying and restarting when the clutch was dumped then just not wanting to run at all so I let it sit and figured out the problem. I'm thinking I need to look at my clearances first and also that the cam chain may have stretched somehow from lack of oil, cause it sounds like the cct issue and it runs just fine.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 AM

You may want to check your clutches as well. They are wet so I don't think running them dry like that would be good for them either

Old 03-26-2012, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I cannot do a pressure check since I don't have the equipment. The advice I got from the senior tech at the honda shop I trust is to try and check and tighten up the valve train to see if that helps since the ticking shouldn't be able to be caused from the bottom end, then just keep it local for the next five hundred miles to be sure the bike is ok to trust on trips again, that is provided I can make the ticking go away, it is always there even at idle, which sounds like a very loose valve to me since performance is somewhat down. Would a ring tick though?

Old 03-26-2012, 09:58 PM

Update. I checked the valve clearances and they are in spec, so no undue stress on the valve train unless it is to the stems and guides. Could my cct just have failed at the worst possible time causing a misdiagnosis? The bike just turned over 24000 and there has been slight noise here and there.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:24 AM

Hate to say it but im thinking a spun crank bearing if you ran it without oil.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 AM

Listen to Classic man.

Buddy of mine was driving his mustang, and his oil pressure dropped to almost 0. He figured "I'm only 3 miles from home."

Well, long story short, hes looking for a new long block.

Running low on oil is NEVER good.

Im not too keen on bike motors, and usually they're pretty stout, but I would check EVERYTHING you can man. You don't want the motor to seize while your riding it.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:43 AM

Check your oil filter for metal particles or pieces too. If you did damage, your oil will look silvery (usually) and have little fine pieces of metal

Old 03-27-2012, 08:37 PM

Oil isn't silvery at all, though I didn't check the filter, no drain pan at the new place. It never really locked, just seemed like it lost power, so it probably had no oil on the compression rings. It would just kinda cut out, it never gave me forward G's like the engine was locked up. The guy at the shop said that it doesn't have regular bearings on the crank that they're press fit, so the only thing that could rattle is the rod bearings or the cam chain as far as I know.

Quick Reply: Oil drain plug came out, now bike rattles