CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

no shop manuel yet couple basic ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no shop manuel yet couple basic ??

95 f3 rebuild..i have 3 tubes under my gas tank when i removed it 1) petcock ..2)skinny vent tube?10 inches long... 3) larger 18 inc tube just dangaling..should 2 be hooked to something there are guide holders for both loose tubes....or is there 2 vent tubes for some reason.....2nd ? replaceing swingarm and dogbone...leaveing myself wide open here but...do i grease all shafts..swingarm ..dogbone..rear axel...thin lithum grease or thick red bearing grease..thx all

Old 01-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts
Default RE: no shop manuel yet couple basic ??

On the swing arm, the left side (chain side) you should lubricate with heavy bearing grease. The right side has 2 sealed bearings, so the remainder of the shaft only needs a thin coat of grease to help prevent it from rusting. As for the axle shaft, all the bearings on the wheel are sealed bearings, so only a thin coat on that shaft as well, mainly for rust protection as well.

Good luck on the rebuild.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: no shop manuel yet couple basic ??

If you have the time and resources, look into the upper and lower steering head bearings. Honda put very little grease on those from the factory. I just worked on a 96 F3 and there was almost no grease on these bearings. That and what was there was twelve or so years old. By the way, the rear suspension (shock absorber, shock absorber arm, & dog bone) bearings are needle bearings and easy to clean and grease up again. Some other things that are good to look over would be the brake and clutch pedals. Dirt and lack of grease can cause these to require you to use more force than necessary.
Also, you are going to want to inspect a couple plugs in your charging system. There is a little black box (Regulator/Rectifier) on the right side of the frame with five wires (3 yellow, 1 red/black, & 1 green) going into it. This plug will begin to discolor due to over heating from excessive resistance which is a sign that the charging system is developing problems. The other plug you want to check is the white plug with three yellow wires which is located with a bunch of plugs just forward of the battery under the seat. It comes from the stator and goes onto the R/R. This connection will also discolor from overheating just like at the R/R. If they are deformed/melted together, I would recommend replacing those connectors.