CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

newbie questions....

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie questions....

soo i recently got a 97 F3 and I'd like to work on it myself and do most of the maintence myself...but im new to it all, and have some newbish type questions...figured this would be the best place to learn.

the fuel injection cleaner, do I need a kinda made for bikes? or will the kind for cars work just as well?
do i need a jack stand of sorts to change the oil? or the side stand enough?
I didnt get any sort of owners manuel with it...is there some trick to get the seat off that im not seeing?

any help would be appriciated!

Old 10-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Default RE: newbie questions....

To take off the seat, you need to remove the side tail panels, be careful no to break off any tabs when trying to remove them. As for oil, it's best to have the bike upright during the end of draining to be sure that you get out all the oil. I highly reccomend you get yourself a clymers or hanes manual soon so that you have a better idea of what to expect when messin with the bike. Have fun and welcome to the site!

Old 10-23-2007, 04:26 PM

First off, no......you do not need motorcycle specific fuel injector cleaner, but you dont have fuel injectors either. It will work to clean out jets assuming they aren't SO far clogged that it wont work.

Do you NEED a rear stand? No way. But it does help come time to change tires and/or chains. Using it to change the oil is not necessary at all. Most drain plugs are off to the drivers side of the oil pan anyway just for that reason. Searching on here will help you immensilly when working on your bike. LOTS of useful knowledge here.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:15 PM

I was talkin more bout the stuff you put in the gas tank to clean up the carbs some?

If I start my bike cold, I have to have the choke all the way open and sometimes have to give it a little throttle when i start it or else it doesnt kick over. From what I've read places, it seems like my carbs may be a little dirty?

Old 10-23-2007, 06:03 PM

the carbs might be a bit clogged. it doesnt sound bad though. when i first got my bike i couldnt keep it running. Run some carb cleaner through the tank and see how it works. to get the seat off, do what they said n take the rear side panels off. there should be one screw on each side holding the seat on...yea i know, pain in the ***...then push the rear of the seat forward til it pops out.
you dont need a stand to change the oil..no...but im suprised you didnt ask about what type of oil. Id only use synthetic motorcycle oil, not cheap car oil. others may think otherwise.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:47 PM

I know that I need motorcycle oil. Im not that newbish. lol. Main concern was if i could get the carb cleaner from like walmart thats for cars as well, or if there is something specific for bikes that i should i get.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:21 PM

carb cleaner from anywhere for cars works to an extent. If it doesnt help much a carb clean is in store for you my friend.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:29 AM

Your gonna need choke if the engine is cold. How does it respond after it's warm? If there's some serious response/hesitation issues then I'd be a little concerned. Otherwise just rider like she was ment to be and enjoy!

Old 10-24-2007, 11:31 AM

our bikes are def. cold blooded, but carb cleaner most certainly wont hurt it.

hows skittles doin lately?? Ever get a rim?

Old 10-24-2007, 11:56 AM

Almost all Hondas are cold natured,so you'll need some choke.

Seafoam is the stuff to use to clean your carbs internally.7 bucks.Follow the instructions by reading them thoroughly.Good stuff!

As always use OEM oil filters.The aftermarket ones use less paper.My salvage guy sells them for 12 bucks.Shop around,you'll find a deal.Some aftermarket ones collapse internally,some others pop.

Thecar oil I use is Shell Rotella Synthetic.Make sure the first number ofyour oil is low,so you'll have less metal-to-metal grinding during start-up.

Find a bike shop with a welder,and have spools welded on the swingarm.Or,if you are handy,Pitbull makes a spool kit that you can tap-and-drill yourself for 20 bucks.It's sooooooooooooo handy to have spools!

Quick Reply: newbie questions....