CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

New Guy Looking at an F3 Couple Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy Looking at an F3 Couple Questions

New guy here, looking at picking up a 1997 CBR600 F3. Has about 29K. Looks to be in good shape.

Anything in particular I should look for besides the obvious leaks, damage, etc?

Also it has a set of fairings I have never seen before. Can anyone confirm if it's an oem set?

Thanks!

-Brian

I'll have pics up in a few minutes.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally speaking if it looks to be in good shape it probably is but..............a "fairing" that you never seen before is a telltale sign the bike has been down. Are the footpegs bent or aftermarket? Shifter or rear brake pedal bent? Engine covers scratched? Also signs of being crashed. Are the forks leaking? Chain & sprockets.....if they all rusty its probably been sitting outside for a while being neglected, if not are they decent shape and relatively lubed? Check the oil, does it look good? Coolant same thing. Handle bar ends, scratch, bent or are they even there? Hows it run and sound? If the seller cant start it in front of you either walk away or pay very very little for it, as in a couple hundred, no more.

Last edited by coalminer frank; 02-01-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:03 PM

Name:  IMG_2352_2_zpsnol4ugod.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  54.8 KB][img]Name:  IMG_2352_2_zpsnol4ugod.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  54.8 KB[/img][/url]

Heres a picture of the bike

Old 02-01-2017, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
Generally speaking if it looks to be in good shape it probably is but..............a "fairing" that you never seen before is a telltale sign the bike has been down. Are the footpegs bent or aftermarket? Shifter or rear brake pedal bent? Engine covers scratched? Also signs of being crashed. Are the forks leaking? Chain & sprockets.....if they all rusty its probably been sitting outside for a while being neglected, if not are they decent shape and relatively lubed? Check the oil, does it look good? Coolant same thing. Handle bar ends, scratch, bent or are they even there? Hows it run and sound? If the seller cant start it in front of you either walk away or pay very very little for it, as in a couple hundred, no more.
Thank you for the quick response. I will be sure to check over the bike for signs of being laid down as that would quickly turn my interest.

I have a few bikes right now so I do not "need" another one.

The story is this;

This kid has the bike, says he purchased it 6 months ago from an older gentleman who had owned it for years and can no longer ride due to a knee surgery. So kid buys bike and is too scared to ride it and claims that at 5'4" he is too short to comfortably control the bike, hence the reason to get rid of it.

I am 6'7" so I am 110% sure I will be able to handle this bike. Hell my Kawasaki Concours is way higher and I can flat foot that no problem.

I am going to look at the bike on Friday.

Let me try attaching the pictures on here.

Name:  IMG_2349_zpswdsqh6eq.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  41.9 KB

Views: 37
Size:  54.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2350_zps1fopapdp.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  37.9 KB

Old 02-02-2017, 06:45 AM

Even if it has been laid down doesnt necessarily mean its junk. If it runs good and its cheap enough its worth it. If it runs good and the wheels aint bent and/or the forks aint bent etc etc. I would definitely make sure there is no coolant in the oil. Honda only made a gazillion F2s and F3s so they're not worth a whole lot, especially well worn ones. I have more value in quality aftermarket parts on my F2 than the bike is actually worth.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
Even if it has been laid down doesnt necessarily mean its junk. If it runs good and its cheap enough its worth it. If it runs good and the wheels aint bent and/or the forks aint bent etc etc. I would definitely make sure there is no coolant in the oil. Honda only made a gazillion F2s and F3s so they're not worth a whole lot, especially well worn ones. I have more value in quality aftermarket parts on my F2 than the bike is actually worth.
I will check the coolant in the oil concern. Are these bikes prone to headgasket failure or is the coolant/oil mixing a result of a failed water pump?

I am not expecting to pay much, actually I am trading for a gun I no longer use much. Not valued at a lot.

Guy says it runs and drives 100% with new tires to boot.

Only tomorrow will tell for sure how it looks.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

[QUOTE=BigBrian27;1301860]

That bike is not a 1997 if you look at the VIN tag on the frame. It looks to be a 1996. Another tell tale is the fit of the seat where it meets the tank.

Name:  IMG_2349_zpswdsqh6eq.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  41.9 KB

The tank appears to have a cover on it like you get with aftermarket fairings from China. The top of the tank is siting above the tank filler cap. Normally that would be flush.

Views: 62
Size:  54.8 KB

If you're looking for a project bike and can get for a couple hundred then maybe. Personally I'd walk.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
If you're looking for a project bike and can get for a couple hundred then maybe. Personally I'd walk.
Any particular reason why?

Old 02-02-2017, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by BigBrian27
Any particular reason why?
Yeh, why? If it runs good, the wheels & forks arent bent, no coolant in the oil and he only wants $???. Why not buy it. These engines are pretty much bullet proof. Coolant in the oil could be from a head gasket failure but not generally with these engines (from what I've read on this site in the last 5 years). Usually Orings from the oil cooler I believe would be the most likely cause.