CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

New bike slipping 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New bike slipping 2nd

I just got this bike it my first bike i owned i have rode many before but when i got home from iraq which was 2 weeks ago well my gf bought it for me and been sitting sense christmas well i went rideing first time today if the bike is under 5000 rpm the bike slips in and out of 2nd idk why i have rode other cbrs never did that so anyone have any idea's?

Old 01-16-2010, 04:53 PM

Check your oil level

Old 01-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by intiractive
Check your oil level
Skip checking it. Change the oil that way you know the level is good and the type is right.

What's the bike's history?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:45 PM

Mileage?

Old 01-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Default its your shifting forks and or gear dogs THATS THE PROBLEM

i have a 97 F3 that was doing the same thing. in all other gears it worked fine at any rpm. im sure its the same with you. its not your oil. be nice if it was but its not. your going to have to take the engine out flip it over and replace your left(i think its the left. you have 3 a left middle right.) you'll know it when you see it. it will have a little wear on it. if your girl bought it like that and the seller didnt tell her he's a sorry *** bitch. shifting forks and gear dogs. thats your problem. its kinda common with the f3s.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dverch
i have a 97 F3 that was doing the same thing. in all other gears it worked fine at any rpm. im sure its the same with you. its not your oil. be nice if it was but its not. your going to have to take the engine out flip it over and replace your left(i think its the left. you have 3 a left middle right.) you'll know it when you see it. it will have a little wear on it. if your girl bought it like that and the seller didnt tell her he's a sorry *** bitch. shifting forks and gear dogs. thats your problem. its kinda common with the f3s.
Before assuming the worst, eliminate the easy. The oil can cause it to slip gears. So could a lot of other things. Rider error could be causing it (not firmly kicking it into 2nd). But changing the oil is cheap, quick and eliminates that as a fail point. It will suck to drop the engine out of the bike, tear apart the tranny and find you've wasted a bunch of time.

And a person should do an oil change immediately upon buying a used vehicle. Because unless there is hard documentation of when it was last done and with what oil, the new owner needs to do so to establish a maint routine.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 AM

don't get your hopes up on the oil. the tranny sits in the same amount of oil in every gear. if it was the oil it would prob slip in every gear at the same rpm. the fact that its only second gear is a direct reflection of the shifting forks. possible gear dogs aswell. I'm not a certified machanic. but I've torn down and rebuilt 4 f3s now. I know the size of every bolt on that son of a bitch. I'm here to tell you guys. YOU NEED TO CHANGE YOUR SHIFTING FORK. AND MAYBE #2 GEAR DOGS..

Old 01-18-2010, 08:21 AM

how hard is it to do and how much it to get it fixed , my gf thought i was making my car payments from over seas so she didn't pay them so not they reposed the car im like what the hell so this only thing i got and it sucks just skipping second gear

Old 01-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Before assuming the worst, eliminate the easy. The oil can cause it to slip gears. So could a lot of other things. Rider error could be causing it (not firmly kicking it into 2nd). But changing the oil is cheap, quick and eliminates that as a fail point. It will suck to drop the engine out of the bike, tear apart the tranny and find you've wasted a bunch of time.

And a person should do an oil change immediately upon buying a used vehicle. Because unless there is hard documentation of when it was last done and with what oil, the new owner needs to do so to establish a maint routine.
I assume you're talking about someone potentially having put the wrong type of oil in (with those damned car oil detergents) which can cause slippage. However, changing the oil probably won't fix this as the damage isn't fixable without replacing the clutch pads.

Anyway, sounds like the issue is either the dogs or a chipped/worn gear. This is most common in 2nd gear, as it's the most used dog and it gets the most pressure. I'd say your only option is probably to pull her apart and have a look.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and I can't quote you a price, but if you take it in it's going to cost you an arm and a leg. This one is a job where they tack on some serious labor charges...

Quick Reply: New bike slipping 2nd