CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum
View Poll Results: Fully faired or naked?
Faired
66.67%
Naked
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

New '98 F3

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '98 F3

So my F4i that I traded a YZ125 for had a broken rod. So I traded that for this 98 F3 that has some cosmetic issues but runs and rides. Figured I'd start a build log and get some info on these bikes in the process.

Issues I've noticed so far:
  1. No gauges or upper fairing stay. Came with some other gauges that don't fit the wiring harness and I've come to the conclusion they're from an F2.
  2. Radiator fan is wired up to a manual switch. No idea if it's bypassed the internal thermostat or is in conjunction with it.
  3. Lots of bare wires, broken wires, empty connectors.
  4. Stator cover oil leak (with what looks like a DIY patch or gasket) with a scratched bottom that looks to be from a low side. Plan on ordering a gasket and pulling the cover and going from there to see about crankcase damage.
  5. No bar weights.
  6. Front Fender has forward/backward pivoting movement (not good!).

I have the two lower fairings, the two small removable "maintenance fairings", the middle cowl up front, and the chain guard/fender. I would like to get it fully faired again and like some of the F4i conversions on here. Not really sure where to start on this one, I guess with the front end and fairings after I get the oil leak sorted.

Very much would appreciate some insight on these bikes. I have a service manual and am pretty familiar with F4i's and newer 600RR's. Has a Pirelli on the rear and a Michelin on the front. Not sure if it's because the wet roads all around or what but the Pirelli is a joke. My Michelin PR3's on my BMW must spoil me I guess.

Goals:
  1. Wire F4i Gauges
  2. New tail section (954/600RR?)
  3. Fix Previous listed issues
  4. Speedo Healer
  5. Michelin Rubber

Without further ado...PICS!

Name:  ULLrRaV.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  590.8 KB
Name:  yGZhhua.jpg
Size:  612.6 KB
Name:  ircpHEe.jpg
Size:  819.6 KB
Name:  vbzusbB.jpg
Size:  713.4 KB

Last edited by Lawrence Norton; 03-08-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:26 PM

Well I got bored today and decided to see about getting at least a tach in the meantime to put around with. Hooked the F2 one up and it worked!

Old 03-10-2014, 09:23 PM

Well decided to pull the stator cover tonight to inspect this oil leak. Major damage to crankcase from assumed low side. There seems to have been an "attempt" at patching it with some sort of epoxy. It's everywhere (was even loose globs on inside of stator cover!) and I took a video of what I could get access to. Will probably be mounting a headlight and trading this bike ASAP.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 AM

Almost 200 views and no opinions? Come on folks...

Old 03-13-2014, 08:29 AM

Cleaned up mating surfaces on stator cover and put it back on even with one broke off and one stripped out it still leaks a lot less. One or two drops over night. Plan on getting a spanking new gasket and some liquid gasket and reconditioning mounting threads and going from there.

F2 gauges are FS/FT if anyone needs them. I plan on going a different route with a single round headlight with F4i gauges.