CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

My Own R/R Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts
Default My Own R/R Problem

Well, we go out fora short ride today, going to do a little window shopping at some motorcycle accessory places here in town. First stop, Competition in Ft. Lauderdale to look at some winter jackets for my wife. Next stop, a local Triumph dealer on US1. We arrive to find them closed on Sunday, crap. As I'm sitting there in the parking lot idling my bike just shuts off. Oil light comes on, neutral light still on, rpm is 0 and no sound from the engine. I hit the starter, nothing. Check to see if my kill switch is on, nope, it's in the right position. Hmmm.... so I start thinking, what could this be.

I take a look at my headlight and it was barely on, but did go off when I hit the starter button. There wasn't even a click when I hit the starter. Hmmm, dead battery, seems possible but what else. So, we (my wife got to push, it was great ), try push starting, but nothing.

I start thinking of the R/R and wonder. I know I had checked the connections a few months ago just to make sure they were tight, but I figured I'd check anyway. This is what I saw.

Name:  DSC03560.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  49.8 KB

Ok, not a pretty sight. It had clearly overheated and that was solder coming out of that hole and leaking some kind of brown epoxy goo. Alright now, what to do...

Ya know, there is an advantage to riding the same make and model of bike that your wife does.I decided to take the battery out of my bike, put it in hers, and hers in mine. I'd push start hers and her R/R would enable it to run, and her battery would get me home on the short 30 minute Interstate ride.

It worked, made it home with no problems. I used a VOM to check some of the connections out based on information I found here in the CBR Forum. I checked the resistance of the windings and they all matchedperfecty.It turns out that 2 out of 3 of the terminals where the yellow wires go to on the regulator were shorted straight to ground. Clearly bad.

I've decided to go the GSX/R route since all the write-ups give it good marks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Own R/R Problem

haven't had any problems with my gsxr r/r. I've only had it on for 8 months though. ha.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:30 PM

i got an r/r from a 2002 r6 after burning through 2 oem r/r's. works fine so far after a couple months.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Well this type of feedback helps reassure me I'm making the right decision. I picked one up off of ebay for $35 for a gsxr 600 '04-'05. I figured that was a pretty good deal. In the mean time I'll use my wifes r/r since she usually doesn't ride during the week. When the weather is nice I like to ride to work.

Update:
The r/r arrived today from ebay. I installed it tonight. I'll post pictures on how I did my install, but here is the end result.

Name:  DSC03589.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  61.0 KB

It's late so I'm going to bed.[&:]

Old 01-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

So, this is how I replaced it.I removedthealuminum plate behind the R/R. It had some attachment bolts the prevented the new R/R from laying flat.There was a flat round bold head that proved to be a challenge to remove. I used a cutter to put a slot into it so I could use a large screwdriver on it.
Name:  DSC03566.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  39.0 KB

Once the plate was removed, it was just a matter of drilling new holes to mount the larger R/R. I mounted the R/R with the wires coming out the bottom because I felt that there was more clearance to put the wiring harness, as opposed to putting it up near the seat. Use caution though when drilling holes. You main wiring harness runs right behind there and its easy [&:]to drill right into it and cut some wires. After mounting it, I needed to get the old connector off the wires. There is a little metal tang that sticks up that prevents the metal blade from coming out of the connector.
Name:  DSC03572.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  31.5 KB

If you look down the inside of the connector you can see them sticking up. All you have to do is press down on them to get the pins to slide out of the connector.
Name:  DSC03573.jpg
Size:  44.8 KB

I always knew that I would find a use for those curved hemostats I had laying around.
Name:  DSC03579.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  40.9 KB

After getting the pins out, I needed to put some heat shrink tubing on them to insulate them.
Name:  DSC03581.jpg
Size:  38.0 KB

Name:  DSC03582.jpg
Size:  48.0 KB

After that I inserted the pins into the existing connector on the bike. I used some plastic strips to place in between the pins that were still sticking out of the connector to add some additional protection from the wires touching each other.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good information there, I now know why the Gixer replacement is a good idea just looking at the heat sinks. I replaced mine some time ago with a heavy duty unit & it looks similar, but different mod to mount it.
The reg has to be the biggest piece of crap ever put on a quality motorcycle & why a recall was never done on it is beyond me.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

I would have posted these photo's before, the battery on my laptop died and the power cord was at work. This is idle speed and at about 4,000 rpm. I put my original battery back in my bike during this process. I rode the bike several times this week and all things are working well. Starts up with no problems.

Name:  DSC03584.jpg
Size:  53.4 KB
Name:  DSC03586.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  45.6 KB

I'm currently looking for one of these R/R's for my wifes bike. I figure since she's got 39,200 miles on it, it probably won't be long before she'll need one too. I'll be proactive and replace it before it dies. We were fortunate that mine died when and where it did. We ride a lot and go long distances. We may not be as fortunate next time.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:08 PM

how do you know which wires go where

Old 03-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

I don't remember who, but I'm pretty sure it was on this forum. They turned me onto this Troubleshooting Guide to voltage regulators. Basicly on our R/R's, there are 5 wires. 3 are yellow and come from the alternator, one is ground and the other is battery. The guide talks about which wires go where.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by stoneguy1037
how do you know which wires go where
Try this link (see link). I am having trouble with my charging system as well! I was going to replace the R/R with the stock one, but F*** that!! I am switching to the Suzuki part!! Honda should be ashamed for not recalling this part!!

http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/...g_replace.html

Quick Reply: My Own R/R Problem