CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

my first bike i need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my first bike i need help

Hello everyone I just picked up my first bike its a 1996 F3 and I'm in love!!!! Runs like a champ only a few issues and I hope some one can help me with them.

1. There is a fairy painted on the gas tank lol I've never painted before but I'm on a budget. Ideas?

2. The throttle is a little stickey any one know an easy fix?

3. The break pedal is a litrle bent not bad its just from movers droping it but can I just take it off and bend it back.

But that's all I think goin to the shop to have the oil changed and get it a tune up. But please let me know if there is n e thing else I should do before riding out

Old 01-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Howdy and "Welcome!".

Do a little cruising through some of the paint how-tos for the fairy "issue".
With patience and a little practice on "scraps" to get it right the first time,
Paint isn't really difficult. Just time-consuming to get the base ready.

Throttle cable, first thing is to try cleaning/lubing it.

Brake pedal can be bent back (heating with a torch helps).
But it's generally easier, (imo) to leave it mounted to the bike, while doing so.

You sound like you're on the beginners side of wrenching/mechanics work.
Get the manual, it lists the proper procedure(s) (with pictures!).
Google some U-tubes, on the subject. Do the research, don't just start
taking things apart. You're ahead for asking here. Both as a database and the posts.
Search though some of the various how-to forums, as well.

Being new to riding, check out some of the advice other rookies have received,
especially on the subject of road safety. Get the gear to protect yourself.
Only you can prevent road-rash, so be aware. You are invisible.

Pleased to meet ya, Ern

Old 01-31-2013, 04:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also make sure to get a good helmet and jacket!!!!

Old 01-31-2013, 04:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also do you have pictures of your beast?

Old 01-31-2013, 04:39 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone allready got a good helmet (scorpian exo 400) and matching jacket. Picked up a pair of boots my msf course starts next week. And ill put aome pics up soon. Thanks again for everyone being so helpful

How do I put up pics lol can't figure it out

I gad some one tell me this morn that the f3 was to big for me what you all think I'm 5'9 205

Last edited by 74demon; 01-31-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: merged posts
Old 01-31-2013, 09:16 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by david.boyett1
Thanks for the advice everyone allready got a good helmet (scorpian exo 400) and matching jacket. Picked up a pair of boots my msf course starts next week. And ill put aome pics up soon. Thanks again for everyone being so helpful

How do I put up pics lol can't figure it out

I gad some one tell me this morn that the f3 was to big for me what you all think I'm 5'9 205
Good luck in the class. I have that same helmet and really like it.

When your account is out of moderation, you will be able to attach pics. If you use a third party host like photobucket, you can post pics now. Just copy the IMG code of the pic you want and paste it on the post. For more info: https://cbrforum.com/forum/forum-hel...-posts-104022/

An F3 is not too big for you. If you cant touch the ground when stopped, you may need to do some alterations to the ride height or the seat.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:39 PM

I have the exact same bike, also my first.

My throttle cable was sticking as well when I got it, so I went over to the Harley Davidson/Honda dealer near me and picked up a bottle of Dri Slide Bike Aid. It's a graphite based lubricant meant for cables on bikes.

Took apart the plastic cover next to the throttle cable and using the straw, stuck it down into the holes where the cables run and juiced 'er up. Haven't had an issue since.

Just be careful as it tends to run all over, so you may want to drape a towel over the plastics that happen to be under where you're lubing. Also, some lubricant will probably run out the bottom end of the cable and drip onto the plastics too, so when you notice it just wipe it up and place a rag over that spot as well.

Last edited by Frost; 01-31-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:20 PM

Wow all of you guys are awesome thank you so much for all of your help!!!! Hey is was wondering if any of you are in va maby we could ride aome time. Oh and ps what do you all think about buying china stufd off of ebay? Any experience qith it

Old 01-31-2013, 09:58 PM

David, congrats on the F3 theyre fantastic bikes. My throttle was sticking when I first got it, it turned out being the way the two throttle cables routed past the carbs. I would look there, the two cables go right in between carb 2 and 3 and if theyre not just perfect, theyll stick pretty bad. Ask him if the carbs have been cleaned recently, it happens alot when theyre not reassembled correctly. And worry too much about the brake pedal, nothing some elbow grease would fix

Old 02-01-2013, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by david.boyett1
Wow all of you guys are awesome thank you so much for all of your help!!!! Hey is was wondering if any of you are in va maby we could ride aome time. Oh and ps what do you all think about buying china stufd off of ebay? Any experience qith it
Generally speaking, China/eBay stuff is junk - you get what you pay for. Occasionally though, it isn't too terrible.

If you want to go that route, I would suggest trying something cheap, like L.E.D.'s or marker lights so even if they turn out to be garbage, you won't lose much.

I wouldn't reccomend ever buying performance parts off of eBay and I would strongly advise you never buy important/critical parts or safety gear from eBay.

If you're looking for motorcycle stuff for decent prices online, try motorcycle-superstore.com. I just bought my new tires from there, they were on sale, got my front and back tires for $250 AND they gave me free ground shipping.