Old 03-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my 98 f3 work in progress...project thread

^ really hmmm learn something new everyday both mine were bigger

Old 03-05-2008, 10:03 PM

so having a bigger tire on the back wouldnt inprove the bike, wouldnt there be more tread to ride on so better traction. my car Taurus SHO suppose to only be able to have 225 but i have 245 all the way around and that **** can take some turns w/o breaking loose, shouldnt it be the somewhatsame concept for bike??
But you got it going on in that garage, thats ganna be another bad azz F3.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:50 PM

yea 160 is stock......i just did my clutch but with no avail i out the cover back on and the is nothing in the clutch lever.....i went back through....everything was put back where it was...i replaced the springs and friction plates......but there is nothing there...i had to adjust the cable all the way just to get something at the lever.....but the clutch isn even engaging...the drive sprocket still turns when the lever is released.....im lost

Old 03-11-2008, 10:35 PM

ORIGINAL: shoemjay

so having a bigger tire on the back wouldnt inprove the bike, wouldnt there be more tread to ride on so better traction. my car Taurus SHO suppose to only be able to have 225 but i have 245 all the way around and that **** can take some turns w/o breaking loose, shouldnt it be the somewhatsame concept for bike??
But you got it going on in that garage, thats ganna be another bad azz F3.
no it wont help ,some racers actually step down from 190 rear tires to 180 when racing . i will see if i can find the concept on tire size . its not really the size but what the rim is made for . basically put if you put a stock f3 160 tire it makes a arch with a contact patch about the size of your hand riding str8 so you can actually start turning n be on more patch . when you use a wider tire the arch getsmore triangular like hence less contacat patch having to lean the bike more with less patch. will you feel it i cant say i never rode a f3 with a 180 rear but thats what i read one time .i dont know if that made any sense to you but thats the best off the top of my noggin

Old 03-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

ORIGINAL: shoemjay

The bike would handle differently with a wider tire on it, however I don't know that I would use the term better to describe it. Others will more than likely have a differing opinion on this I'm sure. On a car, with wider tires, the profile of the bottom of the tire is just that, wider, but still flat. So more contact area. On a motorcycle, with a wider tire on the same size rim, you change the profile of the cross section of the tire. It makes it more "pointy" if you will. It's kinda like the shape of an egg. Normally you have the curvature of the large end of the egg, with pretty much the same radius of curvature. A wider tire on the same rim makes it kinda like the small end of the egg, as you roll over into a curve, the bike has a tendency to fall off of the point and onto the sides somewhat. It's kind of a strange analagy, but I think you get the drift .

Old 03-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hopefully they aren't literally getting the drift . I agree with your analogy though idodirt. The geomotry of a tire will be off set if you squeeze a tire onto a rim where the tire is larger than the rim isdesigned for.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:17 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck Doug...these old F3's are lovely when set up right...they go much better than most folk who rider later models think...

Jules

Old 03-13-2008, 08:28 PM

thank you maam.....its going to be a little different than last season....the bike is going to be near brand new by the time i get it on the street ....im hoping to maybe step it up to a fuel injected cbr 600 by the end of the season[sm=smiley17.gif]....

Old 03-14-2008, 03:04 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

oh noooo...lol...keep the carbs...they're quaint in this day and age and they sound so good with the ram air system, I love the deep throaty growl mine makes when I open the taps...she's standard...anyway good luck with whatever you decide...

Jules

Old 03-14-2008, 07:21 AM

i said maybe....

Quick Reply: my 98 f3 work in progress...project thread