CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Milky Oil Help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milky Oil Help.

So i just got my bike back outta the shop.... had the carbs the cleaned and what not. got the bike last summer and never changed the oil well i get it back and runs like a TOP! then i noticed a little bit of a rattle on the top end of my motor, it will do it then stop then do it then stop so i said well maybe the oil is old and what not. drained the oil and looked kinda discolored and milky. Bike has never ran hot. wondering if anyone could help me.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Possibly a headgasket .....

Old 04-29-2010, 01:03 PM

+1 headgasket

Old 04-29-2010, 01:10 PM

Ticking at the top of the motor is usually valves of lifters. How many miles are on your bike? Are you SURE there's enough oil in there? Are you doing wheelies \ 12-o-clocks? You'll need to overfill your oil if that's the case.

Can you describe the oil more? Color, consistency, smell? Was it sparkly liek metal-flecked paint?

Old 04-29-2010, 02:28 PM

oils a dark brownish color. got some dark color variations in it. checked the radiator fluid and its full. resivor is also full. to me it kinda smells like gas. but i do remember i tryed to do a do it yourself carb cleaning job and had 20oz of gas come up missing and dont know where that went. could it be gas? and my bike has also been sitting uncranked until yesterday for maybe 5 months. could that have anything to do with it?

Old 04-29-2010, 03:00 PM

milky might be from condensation in your crankcase if it hasnt been started in a long time, change oil and see what happens

Old 04-29-2010, 04:28 PM

got another question..... got some chattering noice coming from what i guessed as being the timing chain? any idea what could be causing this? time for a new chain or what?

Old 04-29-2010, 06:23 PM

cam chain tensioner more than likely....they are a fail point on f3's. look up in the sticky section....2 great write ups

Old 05-01-2010, 01:33 PM

When the crankcase oil turns very light brown, about the color of milky coffee you're probably looking at a blown head gasket or a cracked head. The light color comes from the coolant leaking into the crankcase and diluting the oil ( you'll see foam until the oil cools). Result is diminished lubrication . Don't drive!!!. Also you'll experience overheating as the coolant moves from the cooling system into the crankcase. Solution.... remove head, examine head gasket ( you'll be able to see blow-by from the water jacket into an oil hole, if the gasket looks normal... replace, then take the head to auto machine shop and have it magnifluxed. They'll be able to tell you if it can be repaired or you can simply buy a used head on ebay. Don't forget to adjust valves if you swap heads. PS This is what happens after a severe overheating session. The longer the operation while"hot" the worse the damage. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2010, 01:26 AM

take a metal rod or a stick or something and try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from....i know i just took apart a set of heads cuz i thought it woul be a broken valve spring...turns out it just needed valves shimmed...jap bikes are bulletproof and generally last forever as long as they are half way taken care of....it may just be that youre being over critical

Quick Reply: Milky Oil Help.