CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

maitinence of 97f3600 w/4200 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maitinence of 97f3600 w/4200 miles

im picking up a new/used bike in a few weeks. the bike is a 97600f3 with 4200 miles. origional tires and i assume origional fluids (except oil). what should i do before riding it? change oil/filter, inspect chain, tires for dry rot, ect? i have a decent mechanicle background in cars (nitrous installs, turbos, s/c, audio, motor work, ect). the tires still look brand new. should i do a complete brake fluid flush and bleed, and coolant flush? also, i run amsoil full synthetic oil in my car as well as super blue racing brake fluid (dot 3/4 compliant), are these oils and brake fluids safe to run in bikes?

thanks for the help guys. ill catch on to the "bike" thing real quick. ive already read alot of threads and im learning alot already.

dave

Old 06-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Default RE: maitinence of 97f3600 w/4200 miles

Sounds like you have a good grasp on it. I have 24,000 miles on my bike and havent changed the brake fluid. I do track days and havent noticed any fade or anything out of the ordinary. I would probly change the coolant. And oil. I run "car" synthetic oil in my bike, as do all my riding buddies and we have never experienced any negative effects. Im sure someone will come on here and tell you differently, but from my experience, it's not worth the extra money. If the brakes are mushy, then yeah, bleed em, otherwise enjoy. Check tire pressure to be around 36F - 34R. Check the brake pads, with that few miles, they should be fine, but you never know. Chain should be fine. If it runs rough, perhaps carbs need cleaning? I assume it doesnt as you didnt say anything about that. That should about cover it. Have fun, enjoy.

Old 06-04-2006, 05:28 PM

OH, and throw some NOS on it.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:34 PM

i work at an autodealership. i get mobile1 for free and the super blue racing fluid also free. basically what i need i can get for free or at cost. and it runs perfectly, not rough or stumbling at idle. i also read there is a date stamp on the tires? now ive never heard of a car tire going bad out of date, how about bike tires? i couldnt find anything out about it.

as far an nitrous. i had a 125 wet shot on my car and LOVED!!!! it. but i highly doubt ill drop in bottle on the bike. if the 600 gets old after this riding season, ill jump up to a 1000. btw, what "shots" are you guys spraying if you use nitrous on a bike? and from what ive read, you use a wet shot?

thanks for the help man.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:34 PM

I dont think tires are like milk. At least they wont smell like *** when they reach the exp date. [:'(] Basically they are like car tires. IF they are weather checked, or balding (squaring off in the center) get new ones. If they are the origional, getting a new set of tires will make it feel like a brand new bike. No ****. I havent used spray on my bike, but it seems like 25 to 50 is most common. I doubt the 600 will get old after a year. Your ego might grow, but the bike will still be plenty fast. No offense, but ego is why most new riders buy a big bike. It'll take more than a year to master the in's and out's of your 600. It's more fun to beat bigger bikes with a small bike anyway.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:05 PM

thx for the help gixxereater. i got the bike yesterday. on the to-do list..oil change with amsoil 10-40 and filter, coolant flush and change, full brake fluid flush, cleaning of the chain and lube, and adjusting the suspension, replacing the plugs.

i was also looking thru the haynes manual i got with this, so i guess ill check/tighten all bolts/nuts to specks since the maitinence is kinda out of date with this bike. any tips on this or anything i need to pay special attention to?

thanks
dave

Old 06-19-2006, 08:25 PM

got a quick question about a coolant flush and fill.
ive read all thru the repair manual i have for this bike, and i cant find an answer to my question.

do you have to "burp" the air out of the cooling system like you do on cars? i know there is a bleeder screw on most autos, just wondering if the same goes for this bike? or do you just flush and refill and ride away?

thanks for all the help guys

dave

Old 06-19-2006, 10:27 PM

Boy, Im not real sure on the coolant portion as I have never done it on mine. ( I NEED to, I know). This should help though.
http://motorcyclistonline.com/howto/...cycle_coolant/

Sounds pretty straight forward. As far as tightening, check the brake calipers, sub frame bolts, axles, peg feelers, foot pegs, body fastners, pretty much anything you can get a wrench on, check it. I've either heard off, seen, or had happen to, most of the **** Ive listed, come loose. Good luck man.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:37 PM

by reading the link above, i think it burps itself thru the radiator/fill tank. on audi's you burp it thru the coolant resivoir, same i suppose as on bikes.

thanks man.

a ton of cool people on thios forum, unlike alot of chodes on a few of my car forums i frequent.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:35 PM

gixxer, i just got done doing the maitinence. the coolant was a snap.

drain coolant from drain bolt on water pump, open rad cap. let drain. i used a turkey baster to get all the old coolant out the coolant resivoir. pour about 1gal of distilled h2o in the radiator and flush out the drain hole. put bolt back in. fill with hp4 coolant to top of rad filler neck. run for 2-3 minutes. blip throttle a few times to 5000-6000 rpms while still running--this burps the air out the system--. top off coolant in the radiator. replace rad cap. run about 10-15 minutes (so the therm opens and coolant circulates thru the entire system a few cycles). turn off bike and let cool down fully (about 1.5hrs). open rad cap and top off coolant one more time. then your done.

dayum bike shop ordered me the wrong Fckn air filter. i noticed this when i had the fuel tank already removed (what a pain in the ars). i wish they would make it right by replacing it for me at no charge, but i know that is not going to happen.

Quick Reply: maitinence of 97f3600 w/4200 miles