CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Lowering cbrf3

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering cbrf3

Hello all.. new to this forum. I have a Cbr600F3 1997 and I am wanting to lower the bike a little cause I just think it doesnt look right cause it sits to high. I am looking for a lowering link asuming that what I need. I am pretty sure I know how to lower it, but I would like someone if possible to help me out and give me some back up info on how to lower it? What tools I need and how? How do I lower the front? would you recommend the lowering? thanks for your help

Old 04-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Since you've indicated that you don't like the way it looks, and that it sits too high, why did you buy it ? Do you like the way it handles ? What about the way it rides ? Are you having difficulty in having your feet touch the ground when you sit on it ?

Old 04-13-2009, 12:03 AM

Well I bought it cause I got it for 800 dollars fully rebuilt new everything, The guy I bought it from though the motor was blown but I knew it was the reg/rec or the stator so I bought it. I like how it looks I just want to drop it a little to make it look better. I like the way dropped bikes feel when they are ridin. No I dont have a problem with height, I am 6'1 so My feet are planted on the ground. I just want to lower it a little. Oh yea and possibly stretch it just a little. This is going to be more of a show bike for me, everyone is going to kill me here, but i have a R1 for daily driving purposes. any advice would be great.

Last edited by Tbird; 04-13-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:32 PM

to lower the front i think theres just 8 bolts you need to loosen the raise the fork tubes...make sure there the same height on both sides, heres a pic of my f3 lowered 2 inches up front

Name:  Picture021.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  19.3 KB

Old 04-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Default Imho

IMHO I wouldn't lower it. Honda did more research than one can imagine. The engine is at a certain degree, the tires are a certain distance apart, and the height........well you get my point. Although if your going for a show bike then I can see your reasoning. It's a fairly simple task though. You'll need to get your bike up in the air on a lift or stand. When I was doing my rebuild I just took off the fairings and used an engine lift (a.k.a. cherry picker). Once you have the bike up and tire off it's kind of self explanatory if you ask me. Unless you have no mechanical skills what so ever.Live and learn!
Good luck!

Old 04-14-2009, 08:07 AM

I have been wanting to lower mine do to the fact that I want to hve my feet on the ground more

Old 04-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Point made... I see where you're coming from and going.

For lowering you need a replacement link in the rear and just slide the fork tubes up in the front. For supporting the bike, stop by Home Depot or Lowes and pick up some 3/8" or 5/16" steel bar. It comes in 3' lengths. The F3's were designed to have a center stand installed on them (look at the parts manual). The steel bracket is already mounted to the frame for this stand. It has holes in it about 1/2" (you can measure if you like to be sure) in diameter. Take the fairings off and you can raise the bike up on a floorjack (have someone hold the bike steady so it doesn't fall during this process) under that bracket.

Slide the steel bar through the holes where the pivot pin for the center stand would go and support each end of the shaft on Jack Stands. Put the Jack Stands as close to the bike as you can for the best support and balance. Now you can work on the swing arm with the bike supported really well. I used this method to remove my wifes swingarm to get it powder coated. Reverse the process to take it back down.