CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

lost power, no idea what happened.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down lost power, no idea what happened.

Ok first off, let me start by saying I drive a 1998 cbr 600 f3. I was washing it today, I did it with the bike running. It ran fine afterwards, revved normal, all electronics worked, etc. Well, I went to leave...and forgot to put the kickstand up and of course stalled when I put it into gear. This is where the problem came, it would not start up again. It has absolutely NO POWER now..no lights or anything. Of course I checked to see if any connections were wet, checked fuses, looked at the battery connections and everything. Decided to try to start it in gear and that worked, but it would not rev past 2000rpm and the lights constantly flickered and it was misfiring like crazy even after letting it idle for about 20 mins. Shut it off, same thing, no power at all. ONE MORE ODD THING...if I applied the front brakes some, it idled fine, revved fine and all the lights stopped flickering??? Does anyone have any ideas as to what I did to this? or what i could have possibly gotten wet to cause this? i saw maybe the voltage regulator? or perhaps a connection under the gauges or something? I am at a total loss right now...thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to say that washing you're bike & you're problem is no coincidence (although they sure do happen) Water has got into the electrics somewhere & is causing a short.Maybe a squirt of WD around the front brake light switch (if that's the cause) or just leave you're bike to dry out & see if the problem persists.
I've had gremlins after riding for hours through the p*ss*ng rain with no problems & come out the next day & the bugger wouldn't start. My CX500 was a classic example with the fuse box located on just above the bars, water loved getting in there.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks man for response. yeah i know it's def to do with washing it but just racks my mind that it won't even get power at all. ALSO i just let it sit for about 6 hours...problem still persists. Only thing i noticed with limited light and tools this time is that the positive battery terminal was really hot...even after sitting that long.