CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Loose Chain

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 04:09 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose Chain

My chain is extremely loose. I probably should not be riding with it like that. I know how to adjust it, but its to the point where the wheel is the furthest it can go on the swingarm, and im tired of hearing the chain slap around so i finally decided to ask about it. My chain and sprockets are still in good condition so i am not looking to replace them.

My question is how do I remove links out of the chain so it can be adjusted properly? Should i just buy a chain link remover or w.e its called from wal mart? and how difficult is this?

Thanks.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:16 PM

your Chain is stretched.....get new!!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Running out of adjustment room for your chain, and the chain and sprockets being in good condition are things that don't normally go together. Are there any more details that might help support this situation ? Like, they're not the factory sprockets ? If it's all factory sprocket sizes, then that chain is not in good condition, no mater how nice and clean it looks.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:53 PM

yea everything is stock, its not clean or anything, but yea its stock.

so the chain is def stretched like that other person said?

getting a new chain will fix the problem and make it so i can adjust it properly again?

Old 10-08-2009, 04:56 PM

how did it get like that? stretched or w.e. Did it get like that because the previous owner neglected to adjust the chain?

guess ill just have to buy a new chain any recomendations (brands) or where i should buy it? ebay?

Old 10-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

How many miles on the bike/chain ? Chain wear is a normal thing, as is sprocket wear. Depending on how well it's maintained and how the bike is ridden, a set of sprockets and chain can last 15,000 miles or more. The can also wear out in less than 5,000 on a bike used at the track.

Yes, replacing the chain and sprockets will allow you to get the chain adjusted back to the proper amount of slack. You really need to replace the sprockets and chain as a set. Replacing one without the other can cause premature wear of the new parts, causing them to need replacing sooner.

Several good brands out there, DID, RK, EK are a few. Going with steel sprockets will make them last longer. Using an alloy sprocket is going to have it wear faster, and cost more. They weigh less, but unless you're racing in competition, not worth it for me. Expect to pay around $150 for a decent set.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:55 PM

Thanks.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:30 PM

Hey idodirt one more question... Whats the real difference between non o ring chains and o ring chains?

Obviously the o ring.... and the price of non o ring is alot cheaper, and another i saw the o ring chain had about 2000lbs tensile strength more....
besides that im not really sure what the o ring does.

Do you know?

Old 10-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

O rings stop the oil/grease from escaping from the chain pins and stop the dirt from getting in. The difference between a chain with O rings and one without would be like comparing a motorcycle chain to a bicycle chain. If you put one on, don't expect it to last very long and be prepared to adjust it every 500 miles.
Don't bother with cheap chains. False economy.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with HenryM for the most part. The bicycle/motorcycle comparison may be a stretch, but you get the idea. The following photo's are of a bad chain with a clip-on type of masterlink. You can see where the "O" ring goes. There is an "O" ring around each PIN in the chain, where the side plates attach. They basically seal the opening where PIN goes through in order to keep the grease inside, and the dirt outside.

Look closely at the following photos where the PIN is and the surrounding metal. You can see that the edges are severely worn and the opening that the PIN goes through is "wallered" out. (wallered, you like that, it's a technical term )

Name:  DSC02203.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  36.5 KB
Name:  DSC02206.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  39.2 KB

If the grease is allowed to come out, then it's metal on metal rubbing and it's not long before things start to wear.

I compared the lengths of 2 chains, a new one and an old one. I lined them up at one end, then looked at the other end and you can see the difference in the length of the chains. A little wear on each pin adds up along the length of the chain.

Name:  DSC02212.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  37.4 KB

This is the other end where you can see that the pins are no longer in sync.
Name:  DSC02213.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  47.8 KB

The rollers are the thicker round parts that drop into the teeth of the sprocket. The rollers should drop exactly in between the teeth of the sprockets, but when the chain gets stretched like this, then the rollers land on the sides of the teeth, you know, the sloped part. Then they slide down the side as the sprocket rotates. This sliding is partly what wears the sprockets.

This is why chain maintenance is so important. If you put a quality chain and sprockets on your bike, lubricate it every 500 to 600 miles, and clean it every 3000 to 5000 miles (depending on your riding environment), your chain can last 20,000 to 25,000 miles. I know this to be a fact because I took the photos of the purple chain in April of 2007 and it's still on my wifes bike today. She's done almost 25,000 miles on her bike since then.

Quick Reply: Loose Chain