CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Looking at an F3

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at an F3

1997 Honda CBR600F3

Hoping to join the CBR community soon, and I've been scoping out a few F2/F3s in my area. I was wondering if the more experienced could point out things I should look out for before I go check the bike out in person.

From what I understand, the fuel pump is a common issue on these bikes. I'll be checking the bike out with my brother (a mechanic), is there a way to rig the bike up to get it to crank while we're there?

I apologize if I'm breaking any posting etiquette.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Loktera
1997 Honda CBR600F3

Hoping to join the CBR community soon, and I've been scoping out a few F2/F3s in my area. I was wondering if the more experienced could point out things I should look out for before I go check the bike out in person.

From what I understand, the fuel pump is a common issue on these bikes. I'll be checking the bike out with my brother (a mechanic), is there a way to rig the bike up to get it to crank while we're there?

I apologize if I'm breaking any posting etiquette.
Hi mate.

I bought a 97 F3 a couple months ago and this was the advice I was given from another forum (I literally copy and pasted it):

-Check the discs don't have a massive ridge at the edge.
-New brake pads
-Ask about the wheel bearings, put it on the centre stand and spin the front wheel, and the same with the back. check for a grinding/knocking sound from the centre of the wheel > if so then new bearings.
-While on the centre stand, sit on the bike, lean back so the front lifts a few inches and slowly move the bars from left to right. If you feel and notches then you will need new headstock bearings, ball ache of a job to do and costly on labour if you got to a garage to get it done.
-Check chain and sprockets
-Listen for a knocking sound from the engine.
-ask him not to start the bike until you get there, you want to see how easy it starts from cold.
-feel the engine before it starts to see if he has warmed it up. if he has, ask why. if you don't like his answer walk away.
-look on the downpipes for any holes, and feel/listen for any blowing from the downpipes and exhausts pipe and can.
-take the oil filler cap off and look for any white cheesy looking gunk > water in the engine not good.
-The gearbox should make a re-assuring "THUNK" when you knock it into 1st gear. The clutch may rattle/rustle a little and it should stop when you pull the clutch in.

If at any point you get a bad vibe, not to be mistake for a scared of the power vibe, then walk away. there are thousands of other bikes out there.

Hope this helps. To be honest, a lot of the above is checks you would do on any bike, but still good advice.

Happy hunting.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the advice - gonna write these down on a checklist to make sure I don't forget anything!

Old 11-20-2012, 04:32 PM

you can bypass the fuel pump to get it to start, just bring some fuel line with you if the guy doesnt have any already, if you dont want to hassle with that then at least get it to crank over so you know the engine is seized up, a bad fuel pump is a common problem with these bikes, but its an easy way for a seller to try to cover up something bigger.
ask any questions you can think of, if something just doesnt add up or seem right then walk away.