CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

A little help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help?

So I recently picked up a local racers 'spare' F3... or so he says it is an F3.

Since joining this forum and looking around I have learned that I have an F2 front rim. Problem is, I have no idea what the fork is for sure. He told me that it has Race Tech Gold valves. Is there any way to tell which fork it is without taking it apart to see if its cartridge or dampening rod? What is the difference in the front axle between F2 and F3?

Also, I figured out looking at BikeBandit, I have determined that I have an F2 airbox, and have already found a complete F3 airbox and air ram assembly.

Are there any other big differences that I need to be aware of or can I treat it like an F3 from here on out?

Old 01-05-2011, 07:11 AM

On top of the forks, do you have a slot for a flathead screw driver? If you don't you have F2 forks. The only way to know for sure if it has a race tech gold valves is to take the forks apart. Which I would do anyways so that you know what the valve is set at compared to your weight and riding ability. Any pictures you can take I can help you some more.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:58 AM

Ill take pictures when I have some more time, probably Friday afternoon. I honestly can't recall what they even look like... I just got everything home and stashed it in the back of my garage behind my other 8 bikes hoping my wife would'nt see ANOTHER bike project. I could have sworn it had the adjusters you mention... but ever since discovering that I have an F2 front wheel I doubt everything about this bike.

First Honda, I am a Suzuki boy... I would be able to tell in a second if something was mismatched on a GSXR.

Is the F2 radiator flat and the F3 curved?

I know that Honda likes to put a GIANT label with the model year on the right side of the steering head, but it is missing so I have no obvious clue what year it really is.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:32 AM

Yes the F2 has a flat radiator and F3 has the curve.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:47 PM

Little bastard F'ing lied to me.

F2 radiator.
F2 34mm carbs.
F2 airbox.
92 engine code.
F2 front wheel.
F2 4.5 rear wheel.

Ill dig the forks out later... The forks on his hybrid F2/F3 have the adjusters so I assume that the spares he sold me should be the same right??

Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 PM

His 97 frame has adjusters on the forks and an F2 front wheel... So I have no idea what to assume anymore...

Old 01-05-2011, 04:28 PM

there used to be a website that when you typed in your vin number, it would tell you what year, where it was produced, what color it was, etc.

this isnt the one i remember, but it will do the same thing.

http://www.decodethis.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

Old 01-11-2011, 06:21 PM

So it turns out that I may have gotten taken for a ride. Either that, or the guy really had no idea what he had in the first place...

His 97 frame/engine has an F2 front end and radiator... So he could have just been that oblivous.

I have decided to make it into an F2/3 with the F3 radiator, airbox, and bodywork, add a fuel pump...

Old 01-11-2011, 10:47 PM

yeah he got ya buddy. sorry to break it to you. Luckily for you, MOST of the parts 1996 and before are interchangable.

edit: Let me rephrase that... They will work on other years and fit.

Last edited by bikerboy46032; 01-11-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cgmiller83
On top of the forks, do you have a slot for a flathead screw driver? If you don't you have F2 forks. The only way to know for sure if it has a race tech gold valves is to take the forks apart. Which I would do anyways so that you know what the valve is set at compared to your weight and riding ability. Any pictures you can take I can help you some more.
94 model F2 forks had the slotted rebound adjuster too. First year for cartridges. The F3 cartridge was slightly better from what I hear.

If it's got gold valves and springs in it though, shouldn't matter since that pretty much replaces all of the internals anyway.