CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F3 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/)
-   -   LED dash bulbs fitted. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/led-dash-bulbs-fitted-143269/)

MeatHelmet1981 11-20-2012 03:19 PM

LED dash bulbs fitted.

3 Attachment(s)
To be honest, not much difference, I personally wouldn't do this again unless i had bulbs out in the dash cluster!

Tried blue LEDs in the clocks but it was too hard to make them out. Tried red, and although you could see and read the clocks I've stuck with white as there must be an orange membrane on the back of the tacho and speedo as the trip counter and mileage light up white, the numbers are still orange.

They are brighter than stock though.

I left the bulb for the top of the rev range and coolant temp. red as I quite like the higher revs red :). Looks pretty sweet. The bike is still in bits though so may change all the clock lights to white so they are all uniform.

Was gonna write a how to with pics but i already had the bike in bits, so basically:

1. All the fairings off (including screen)to be able to get the nose off/out of the way
2. Clocks out (3x 8mm bolts) then it's a case of unplugging the dash from the back (2x plugs) and removing them.
3. Replace one bulb at a time rather than take all the existing ones out, makes it easier to replace with correct colour LED.
--->The LEDs ( http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/i...r,T1.5,21,223: ) need to be inserted the correct way, so test them before you put the bike back together. If they don't work, simply take them out and turn them 180degrees.

You could change the bulbs with the clocks in situ but I've torn my hand to pieces doing it and wouldn't recommend it!

I defo recommend using the same colour LED for the instrument lights, 1x blue for high beam, 3x amber for turn signals and side stand, 1x red for oil, 1x green for neutral, and 4x white for the clocks (amber may work as do red, but white illuminate better, blue are not very good).

Anyone need any help with it just give me a shout and ill see if I can help.

;)

EDIT: I'll take some photos tomorrow of the different bulbs in place to show people the difference in illumination. Also a photo of the back of the unit and bulb locations. sort of like a mini how-to.

EDIT: Photos... (apologies for the poor photos, iPhone isn't a brilliant camera.

White LEDs with red LED for coolant temp and top of RPM:
Attachment 35467

Blue LEDs:
Attachment 35468

Red LEDs:
Attachment 35469

White LEDs:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...2012180240.jpg

What would your choice be???

JeffyDOS 11-27-2012 10:39 AM

Going to do this with the red ones actually. Already got the LEDs. Just waiting to get an HID kit before I take all the fairings off so I don't have to do it twice. I think your red set looks good.

MeatHelmet1981 11-27-2012 01:04 PM

TBH I'll probably have them all red too. Good call on doing the HID at the same time. Let me know where you place your ballast as I'm not happy with the placement of mine.

sjona2011 11-27-2012 05:29 PM

theres a thin red film on the back of the gauges, thats why it looks sort of orange/yellow with the white led's. when i first did my leds i put in white for the back lighting and really didnt like the look of it so went with red.

as for the ballast placement, theres really no good place for it. with the kit i got the cord going from the ballast to the bulb was pretty short so mines just ziptied to the fairing stay lol

MeatHelmet1981 11-28-2012 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by sjona2011 (Post 1204028)
theres a thin red film on the back of the gauges.

Any idea if this can be removed?

sjona2011 11-28-2012 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by MeatHelmet1981 (Post 1204106)
Any idea if this can be removed?

i dont think it can.

JeffyDOS 11-29-2012 09:32 AM

Put the LEDs in. Looks sick.

And for the HIDs, I didn't even mount the ballast yet. It's just hanging by the fairing stay. I know I need to though lol. I'll ziptie it.

Where did you guys mount your DCU? The positive wire was short on mine so I had to mount it along the frame near the engine.

MeatHelmet1981 11-29-2012 02:38 PM

All the wires were short on mine, it plugged directly into the headlight connector so I jut have a mass of wire and clack boxes hanging by the headlight!

I'm gonna try an tidy it up this weekend before I put the fairings back on.

Need to put her back together before it gets frosty here!

estate4life 11-29-2012 03:36 PM

Hey bro, the bulb PC74? Does it fit most Honda CBR? I got a 900rr

sjona2011 11-29-2012 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by JeffyDOS (Post 1204376)
Put the LEDs in. Looks sick.

And for the HIDs, I didn't even mount the ballast yet. It's just hanging by the fairing stay. I know I need to though lol. I'll ziptie it.

Where did you guys mount your DCU? The positive wire was short on mine so I had to mount it along the frame near the engine.

i mounted my dcu by my fuse box, but did you guys get your kits from ddmtuning? thats where i got mine and i had about an extra foot of length in the power cable.
but if yours is too short just solder on a piece of wire to make it longer.