CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Just got my bike back from the mechanic...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Just got my bike back from the mechanic...

And I swear I could go hit this mf'er in the mouth. 3 diff times I've taken it to this shop/ side work by the mechanic. 1 got a tune up and a look thru. Said it was all good but it made a new noise after. 2 went and got new rear tire and rear brake and had him check out the noise he said the carbs need cleaned. 3 literally just got back to the house had him put new fork seals and bushings and was suppose to fix carbs. Well I shoulda k ow off top when he said that be wasn't going to charge me for the carbs he said he just cleaned the jets and re synced it. He said it was running good but I get it on the highway and can't even break 95...! To give him a lil credit he said it has no fuel pump, I have a cylinder ping (which never started till after I took it to the shop the first time) and also it has a header and pipe but said the previous owner never upgraded the jets... Well I'm pissed guess the rule of thumb don't fix it if it ain't broke.. But I thought a bike with 34k could use some maintance my mistake.. Any opinions??

What it is doing is like 1-3 is cool but u get past 7k and nothing at all wide open nothing! And u start to back off the throttle and it will have some spots where it will start to grab and throw you back but only for that half a second. 10 miles on the highway full throttle and couldn't bust 95 I would try backing off a lil nothing and would try feathering the Clutch a lil nothing

I would say I would try and sell it but I just sank a bunch of money into it and it runs terrible now especially with that valve ping it horrible. I need some serious help. Anybody? I'm just really heated right now because he only charged me 60 for the forks but I gave him a 100 just for still cleaning jets and syncin it... I wouldn't of been as mad if he woulda been straight up with me. Just my 2 cents. Once again I apperciate any help

Old 01-14-2010, 11:54 PM

I'm gonna guess a pinched fuel line.

As far as the pinging, that's gonna be a difficult one to figure out over the interwebs without hearing and without knowing exactly what the mechanic did.

As far as the header goes, is it a full exhaust or an aftermarket header only with the OEM muffler? Regardless, a header alone or full exhaust will cause a lean type of running condition but nothing that would affect the engine to the point of not delivering plenty of power. You'll hear alot of popping and crackling during extended decel. If it's running rich you typically hear popping once in a while and usually the instant you get off the gas (like in between shifts for example).

Last edited by bergs; 01-15-2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: forgot words
Old 01-15-2010, 12:02 AM

100$ for that work my friend is a great deal. most mechanics would charge you an arm and a leg for that. dont be mad be glad you have a solid hook up on a good mechanic. put it this way. no one (as your friend, which im sure he/she is because of the deal) wants to charge you more money. when he saw that something is wrong with it he will bring this to your attention. only thing is, more that is wrong is more labor, is more money...he dosnt want totell you this because he knows nobody like hearing more expenses. simply put thats basic logic WITH friends. on that other hand, be glad it wasnt a shop. which may have been 300% more then his fee.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:11 AM

iceman - With all due respect, a technican should be aware enough to make his customers (and friends) aware of certain things that require attention. It covers his/her *** and informs the custmer. Friend or not, the information needs to be passed on so the customer doesn't "discover" new noises, etc.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:29 AM

The pinging is deff the motor he said it a 4 hour job but he charges half what the shop would. It's full exhaust pipe and header. It does pop between 4-6k if your just idleing it. But somehow I just can't see either of those to cause it to just fall flat on it's face. The guy seems k owledgeable and cool enough. I went to the shop and just talked to the mechanic about a win win situation. Fair enough deal it just seems every time the. Bike is getting worse. So I was hopeing for some ideas before I just try and get from underneath it and go newer fi.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:25 AM

the falling on face isnt being helped by having NO fuel pump. thats when these bikes need the pumps (high rpms/high speed)

Old 01-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pinging sounds like a potential CCT issue, something fairly common on our bikes after about 25k. Do a search and see if that matches your symptons. (edit: if this is the problem, it's not a 4-hour job and is a relatively cheap fix)

As for the issues at high speeds, it sounds like the issue could easily be attributed to the lack of a fuel pump. If I were you I'd get yourself a used one off of ebay and see how that treats you.

Finally, for your issues with the mechanic... it sounds like you're getting a steal on the prices for his work... so your options are threefold. 1: Learn how to maintain your bike yourself. This is your best option as you will become more familiar with your bike, you don't have to put faith in a person you don't know to be honest with you and not try to jerk you around, and you'll save a boatload of cash in labor. 2: You can take it to a Honda shop. You might have more peace of mind, but in the end there's as much uncertainty using them as there is using your guys, and you're going to pay out the ***. 3: Realize you're getting a great deal from this guy, have some faith, and try to work with him.

Regardless, do some research yourself to understand your issues so that you don't get screwed by some mechanic because you couldn't be bothered to understand what's going on with your bike.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't diag anything performance related till you get a working fuel pump in her. Our bikes can run on gravity feed. But doesn't mean they were meant to or like it.

The ping you hear. Where is it comig from? Any particular side of the bike? Any particular rpm it happens at? Does it when cold / warm / constantly? And when was your last oil change? Using what oil?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yeah like I said in your other thread, you might have to have the bike rejetted again. You said that he jetted your bike in your ither thread.

That should have been impossible without a workig fuel pump. A fuel pump will change the a/f mix

Old 01-15-2010, 10:17 AM

Did a search on here and google on cct and didn't come up with anything. All he did was clean the jets he said I need to upgrade them because of the header and pipe. Ping is a constant in the front right side if your sitting on it. Thanks again guys for the help I've been stressing over this because I have a 454 build too and I'm just runnin out of money

Quick Reply: Just got my bike back from the mechanic...