CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Just got an F3

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got an F3

Picked up my first CBR (second bike) yesterday, a 97 f3. The guy was originally asking 2200 with some extras for it on craigslist, but I got it significantly cheaper. I was the first person to go look at the bike, and he hadn't touched it since he put it away for the winter. So he pulls it from his shed, starts it up, and the thing runs but starts leaking fuel, and not just a couple drops. So he starts disassembling the bike right in front of me trying to figure out where it's coming from. Fairings off, tank off, air box off, all the way down to the carbs. At this point, it looks like the fuel is leaking from the t-fitting in between carbs 3 and 4.

The guy didn't really seem to want to mess with it, so I managed to get the bike off him for $1300. I figured that most likely the orings on the t-fitting were bad. Well, got some parts, picked it up yesterday, and proceeded to pull the carbs out, clean em, get them back in, an incredibly frustrating and painful process. 12 hours later, we were able to start it, the thing ran great and no longer leaks fuel. So, did I get a good deal?

Haven't actually ridden it yet, it was cold, raining, late, etc, and the front fairing/lights were still off the bike. It starts up pretty well, idles nicely, and rev's right up. Only issue is after reassembly the throttle cable's stick a bit, but that shouldn't be to big a deal. I know it's the cables and not the carbs, so when I get a chance to work on it again i'll fix it up.

Right after picking it up:
Name:  DSCN0204.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  132.8 KB

Name:  DSCN0207.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  140.3 KB

Starting to tear it down:
Name:  DSCN0217.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  149.4 KB

Name:  DSCN0219.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  156.6 KB

Name:  DSCN0227.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  149.7 KB

Carbs out, after much frustration.
Name:  DSCN0230.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  139.8 KB

Split apart
Name:  DSCN0232.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  172.0 KB

Got two sets of fairings, some good ones that have been rattlecanned, and some cheapo hong kong fairings
Name:  DSCN0234.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  161.5 KB

Starting to put it back together:
Name:  DSCN0237.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  137.4 KB

Will post more pics, maybe a video when I get a chance. Let me know what you think.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:57 AM
2011 Ride of the Year

great deal on the bike and great job on it.....bike looks good

Old 03-06-2011, 01:12 PM

Looks pretty sweet. What stands are those

Old 03-06-2011, 02:51 PM

The stands are just generic stands, not sure what kind without checking. The rear fits but the front doesn't. With a little modifying it should though.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:49 AM

nice price!!.. good luck with the bike

Old 03-10-2011, 09:00 AM

Nice bike!! On pic #5 whAt is that part called with the 4 thick hoses attached to it . Can someone please explain purpose and function. Is it supposed to heat up if cranking to long . If not working could it keep engine from starting . Thanks sweet bike PM! I want some white guages on mine !

Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rawr
nice deal.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmanr
Nice bike!! On pic #5 whAt is that part called with the 4 thick hoses attached to it . Can someone please explain purpose and function. Is it supposed to heat up if cranking to long . If not working could it keep engine from starting . Thanks sweet bike PM! I want some white guages on mine !
Those hoses and control valve are part of the D.A.I (Direct Air Intake) system that was introduced on the F3's. It helps to balance atmospheric pressure within the carburetors when the bike is moving slowly to moving fast. The control valve is a solinoid and it's turned on when you turn on the key. I guess after a few minutes it could get warm. But it warming up is not its function, it just controls where the air is coming from. Below 12 mph, air is vented from the small intake ducts below the headlight. Above 12 mph, air flows from the main air duct. Nothing in that system would prevent your bike from starting.

Name:  DAISystem.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  85.2 KB

Old 03-10-2011, 01:01 PM

Wow thanks. Cbrforum is so helpful! Im new and i hope its not rude to post help on someones thread, if it is please tell me. Again thanks idodirt!!!

Old 03-20-2011, 11:27 AM

Well, it's been a while, I've been busy but I thought I would post an update.

The bike runs pretty well overall, still working out a few kinks. Cosmetically I haven't had a chance to play with the fairings and get them looking good, so i've just been riding it with the orange upper fairing and no other fairings. Underneath the black tank cover the tank is orange, and the orange tank and upper fairing look alright, so for now it's somewhat naked.

Other than that, took the bike out on Thursday just for a cruise, rode a few miles and it died on me. Called up a friend who rode over with jumper cables and a multimeter, got it running and confirmed that it wasn't charging. Used his bike to charge mine up enough to get home. I borrowed a rectifier off of a 600rr and rode throughout the weekend without any problems. As the 600rr r/r aren't supposed to be incredibly reliable either, I will most likely get one for a gsxr or r6. Any recommendations?

The bike runs pretty well, not much low range power, but above 3-4k the motor pulls really well. 1-2 gear shift is a little clunky, but otherwise its pretty solid.