CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Jet / Idle Problem. I'm Stumped

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 03:00 PM
March 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet / Idle Problem. I'm Stumped

I have been trying to get my bike to run right after installing a Dyno jet Stage 1 kit. i have called dynojet and the tech support is about as worthless as a wet paper bag. My bike starts but it idles REALLY rough and if i turn up the idle adjuster it runs better but when i rev it then let go of the throttle the idle drops down to 500-600 RPM no matter how the idle screw adjuster is set.
Dynojet's tech said it is a air leak. i know that all my hoses are hooked up correctly and that no gaskets were left off of the carbs or installed incorrect.

Just for info i have an aftermarket exhaust and K&N Filter i used the largest jet setup in the kit due to what the instructions said. The air/fuel ratio screws were gently screwed all the way in the backed out a 1/2 turn.
I just installed brand new NGK iridium plugs as well

Thanks for any help cause i am getting extremely frustrated.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:26 PM

Back out your pilot screws to about 2~2.5 turns and it will help immensely,

Old 03-17-2009, 06:11 AM
March 2009 ROTM

The jet kit directions say to set the mixture screws to where i currently have them at.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:43 AM

And that got you what? Takes about 2 minutes to back them out another 1 ~ 1 1/2 turns and see if it helps,
Incidently, DynoJet doesn't impress me at all with their product support, but I bought my bike with a BAD flat spot at about 4K, and a Factory Pro jet kit already installed, even though I wasn't the original customer, they bent over backwards to help me get it running right. I like that, and will buy from them in the future because of it.
I don't understand why DJ would number their jets differently than the manufacturers jets, ( I don't know if they tell you that in the jet kit info, but they are WAY different), I'm using Mikuni jets because they are easier for me to get, and they are the same as the OEM jets. Factory Pros are too.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:41 PM
March 2009 ROTM

the number of the jets i have installed are 142 for the inside carbs and 140 for the outside carbs. i will try the mix screws and see what happens, i am just upset cause the nice weather is here now and i cant ride

Old 03-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i have mine 1 full turn out (and we have the same set up) .... do NOT back them out to 2.5 turns. you have no idea how rich that'll make the bike run. im runnin the same jets as you as well.

are your boots tightened? that will cause an air/compression leak.

and this may be far fetched, but are you sure all cylinders are firing? #4 cylinder wasn't running on my bike after the first jet install. and it was a fuel mixture screw adjustment that fixed it. if you have an infrared temp gun, you can tell, one cylinder will be running about 200-300 degrees lower than the others. also, the exhaust will smell more like fuel instead of exhaust.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:48 PM

They call them pilot screws, but they serve basically the same function as idle miixture screws on automotive carbs. My point is/was that they need to be set to what the motor wants, not what DynoJet says they should be. I think I'm at about 1.75 to 2 turns out on my F2, and I set them last time with a professional synch gauge setup, but my combo is considerably different, different carbs and WAY different exhaust.

Last edited by Rickracer; 03-18-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:53 PM
March 2009 ROTM

i back out the pilot screw the 2 turns for outside carbs and 2 1/4 turns for inside carbs and the bike fired right up but was idleing at 2000 rpm. i got on it and went for a quick spin and the bike was extremely sluggish and unresponsive. on my way back home from going 1 mile down the road the bike died and would not restart so i had to push her home.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:02 PM

Would you say it's running worse overall than before the Jet kit? Where are your needles set? Have you looked at the plugs?
Idling at 2k, something isn't right....

Old 03-19-2009, 06:11 AM
March 2009 ROTM

Yes it is running a lot worse than before the jet kit and i have the needles set on the 3rd slot so they are right in the middle. Also i put in a new set of plugs too.

Thanks for all of your help with this guys but now it is out of my hands since last night i took it in to the dealership for them to fix it. i know the guys there so i get a break on the hourly rate and parts if needed.

i just feel kinda dumb since i always do my own work to my vehicles and some stupid jets and making me so frustrated.

Quick Reply: Jet / Idle Problem. I'm Stumped