CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Installed new R/R. It's huge. And it works!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed new R/R. It's huge. And it works!

Went and got a GSXR r/r from an '04 bike yesterday. Install went well. I took my time and all 5 wires are soldered and heat shrinked. Had to of course drill two new holes, but that's not exactly difficult. I relocated the ground wire that used to bolt to the r/r mounting plate. I added about 6" of wire and it now is on the negative battery terminal. Here's a pic of the install. You can also see where I have the "trickle charger" plug mounted. It tucks up under the tail plastic when not is use.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20414/021F58436F434D16BAF6DDD7CF3ED19C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Default RE: Installed new R/R. It's huge. And it works!

So the wires are easy to match up?thats cool that it worked out for you? what is a trickle charger?

Old 04-02-2008, 09:44 PM

A trickle charger is a battery charger that puts a low amp charge on your battery.

Why would you put a gsxr regulator rectifier on your cbr? What is the advantage here?

Old 04-02-2008, 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Trouble

A trickle charger is a battery charger that puts a low amp charge on your battery.

Why would you put a gsxr regulator rectifier on your cbr? What is the advantage here?
I can plug the bike into the wall if I leave it sitting for an extended length of time and the battery will stay "topped off".

Search these boards for "regulator / rectifier", or "r/r", or "charging problems" and you'll find out. The stock r/r'ssuck, and the aftermarket one's pretty much do too. The GSXR unit is much larger and is known for it's reliability.

My last two r/r's were "Electrosport" aftermarket. New they're about $100 and I have had two in the last 6 months. Also a new stator, bulbs, and 4 batteries. The 4th battery actually had the top cover blown off of it, and all the acid burned out. (Rotten egg smell, aka sulfating.) The 5th battery went in last night with the r/r install. This is the first time I've NOT had over charging problems since I've owned this bike.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job

Old 04-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Banned

You sound surprised!

That's scary about the battery blowing! Were you riding when it went? I have a dear friend whos mother was driving their RAM Charger back in the day. She was on the highway and the battery blew - she was running the heater full blast and got that **** in her lungs.

She has to take breathing treatments at least 3 times a day. More when it's hot, even more when allergy season rolls around. It's terrible and she's the sweetest Native American you'd ever meet in your life, sad.

Anyway - glad it worked out great for you. Looks good and clean. I've head my head in that 929 for so long I forgot what the F3's looked like, lol. I thought I was in the wrong forum for a second[&:].

Makes me think though, There sure is a ton ofstuff back there in the F3's!

Old 04-03-2008, 12:15 AM

And what did that cost you? Are you going to do a write up? (matching of wires and such)

Old 04-03-2008, 08:34 AM

ORIGINAL: ta8218

And what did that cost you? Are you going to do a write up? (matching of wires and such)
This r/r swap is not a new thing. I have had so many electrical problems, I just wanted to post up that I finally think it's fixed, and what I ended up doing.

Here's a previous post with all the info you need. The part cost me $90.

https://cbrforum.com/m_199676/mpage_.../tm.htm#199676

The only thing I did different then what I've seen already posted was to re-locate the ground from just below the stock r/r. Leaving it there, it's in the way of the GSXR units optimal location (IMHO). Also, since the ground is now at the battery, it pretty much doesn't get better than that. In my LS1 RX-7 work, then engines are aluminum, so grounding is VERY important. I'm always getting creative with grounding issues on those cars, so I figured I might as well do what I can to improve where possible while I had the plastics off the bike.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:59 AM

Dude I'll take you up one step further. I designed my own one and if I do a ruff exchange rate conversion, it cost me round about $20-25.
Obviously I'm an electronic engineer but it's such a simple circuit. Almost 2/3rds of the money went into the metal box (they are quite expensive) but I'm sure you can make a box for cheaper. It's just too much trouble. I'm testing the circuit now in my little 200 for a couple of weeks before I risk it on my F3 but it just shows you how crazy the dealers are with there prices

Old 04-03-2008, 11:27 AM

i did the same thing im my f2, believe i got either an 04 or 06 gsxr 1000 r/r and for the past months it has been perfect. i actually just pulled the males out of the wire holding harness on the gsxr r/r and pluged them into the harness on the f2. matched the wires taped it all up and its all good. i simply zip tied mine and so far hasnt gotten hot enough to melt those zip ties.

Quick Reply: Installed new R/R. It's huge. And it works!