CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

I screwed up...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I screwed up...

So i jump started my bike (97 cbr f3) with my car that was running, after that, it no longer starts. it turns over and backfires, i smell gas and all the lights still work. Im about to go tear into it and i guess start with the spark plugs. if anybody has any idea what I ruined or some good guesses where to start it would be very helpful. thanks

Old 03-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doinwork61
So i jump started my bike (97 cbr f3) with my car that was running, after that, it no longer starts. it turns over and backfires, i smell gas and all the lights still work. Im about to go tear into it and i guess start with the spark plugs. if anybody has any idea what I ruined or some good guesses where to start it would be very helpful. thanks
you more than likely blew all the fuses in your bike.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuses. Starting with the main 30a fuse at the starter relay.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:15 PM

He said it turns over, backfires, and all the lights work = not a fuse issue. Turning over and then backfiring, I'd go with the ignition control module.

Last edited by randyjoy; 03-27-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by randyjoy
He said it turns over, backfires, and all the lights work = not a fuse issue. Turning over and then backfiring, I'd go with the ignition control module.

yea I didn't read closely enough...
looks like you might be right on that one...

I usually always think car battery while car is started ---> blown fuses...

---

hey OP,
can you get a vid of it?
the sound might help us identify if the plugs are fowled, wires burned, etc.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:58 PM

Dunno. bluerrchik just solved a start / running problem with her F4i. Turned out to be a fuse according to the dealer.

The original problem post and the problem solved thread

Considering the dealer charged her $108 for parts and labor, I'm guessing he was telling the truth. just to rub it in

Old 03-28-2010, 02:42 AM

F4i has a fuse just for Fuel Injection (20amp) that is not part of the main six fuses, which powers part of the ECU (and probably the fuse that was bad on bluerrchik), the F3 doesn't. There are only five fuses on the F3, 1-Main (which has to be good if anything works), 2-Headlight; 3-Fan Motor; 4-Turn Signal, Horn, Brake lights, Tail light; and 5-Ignition, Starter, Fuel, Solenoid Valve. If it starts, not a fuse on the F3. Looking at the service manual, the only fault that is electrically related under the "Engine Starts then Stops" is "Faulty Ignition Control Module or Faulty Ignition Pulse Generator". And the ICM is more common to fault with electrical surges.

Faults on either of these means incorrect ignition timing, which is a cause of backfires.

Last edited by randyjoy; 03-28-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:50 AM

F4i has a fuse just for Fuel Injection (20amp) that is not part of the main six fuses, which powers part of the ECU (and probably the fuse that was bad on bluerrchik), the F3 doesn't. There are only five fuses on the F3, 1-Main (which has to be good if anything works), 2-Headlight; 3-Fan Motor; 4-Turn Signal, Horn, Brake lights, Tail light; and 5-Ignition, Starter, Fuel, Solenoid Valve. If it starts, not a fuse on the F3. Looking at the service manual, the only fault that is electrically related under the "Engine Starts then Stops" is "Faulty Ignition Control Module or Faulty Ignition Pulse Generator". And the ICM is more common to fault with electrical surges.

Faults on either of these means incorrect ignition timing, which is a cause of backfires.

cough.

yea what he said.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:11 AM

Works for me! Bout what will those parts cost?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Default update..

so i pulled plugs, got spark at the wire but the plug isnt sparking. new ones on the way, so hopefully that works. How exactly does jump starting it like that foul the plugs tho? or is it still somethin else?

Quick Reply: I screwed up...