CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

I figured I should ask before frying my charging system...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I figured I should ask before frying my charging system...

I'm building a new upper fairing/headlight housing and I'm getting some prospects lined up for the headlights. My question is, the F3 came with one single headlight, I'm doing a 2 bulb system (two 55 watt bulbs) is this going to over work (for lack of a better term) my charging system and make it die prematurely ?

I know everyone does the F4i conversion that has 2 bulbs, but are there any side effects ?

Anything I need to do in preparation to run a 2 light system ?

Extra measures when wiring them up ?

Do I run both power wires together and both grounds together, running them into the factory low beam wires ?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:21 AM

great question, ill be wiring up two headlights for my bike soon as well. Let me know what ya guys think!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:28 AM

Come on guys, I know you know the answer...

Old 04-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doubt it would fry your charging system, but I'd be concerned about your harness if you're planning to use the stock wiring for the new setup.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:28 PM

I will be using the factory signal wire from the switch, but everything else is getting beefed up.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:34 PM

You're going to want to upgrade your R\R, I don't think anyone would argue with me there. The F3 one can barely handle the stock hardware without melting itself. Hell, you should upgrade it REGARDLESS. The stator, on the other hand, is perfectly capable of handling the second light, it's just not going to do as good a job at recharging the battery until you hit like 3.5k, instead of 3k.

The answer to the rest of your question depends on how you're setting it up: Are you doing a one-low, two-high setup, like the newer RRs? If so, then you're not going to tie anything together. You're going to rebuild your high-beam switch so that it sends power to one light (the low) constantly, and when tripped, sends power to the second light (high) as well. Make sure you aim them properly; your low should be towards the ground, your high should be, well, high. Also, you're going to need to run a higher-gauge wire to the switch in either situation, or you'll melt your harness.

Check the wiring diagram at the back of the service manual, it's incredibly useful.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:59 PM

R/R has already been done, I was thinking 1 on low, 2 highbeam. Maybe running a switch for the second one, it will rarely get used, but I get out of school at 10pm, so for 25 miles a day four days a week.. I figure I can wire the second one to the battery directly since it will be on a switch. But I'm not sure about that either, sounds like a recipe for a dead battery...

Old 04-13-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 999 Customs
I figure I can wire the second one to the battery directly since it will be on a switch. But I'm not sure about that either, sounds like a recipe for a dead battery...
Yep, and potentially a dead headlight. Run another wire into the R/R, and use a 10A inline fuse.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:22 PM

That sounds easy enough.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:32 PM

OH ****, just noticed you're running HID's. Double-check what amperage that fuse should be.

Quick Reply: I figured I should ask before frying my charging system...