CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

How hard is transmission work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is transmission work?

I know I will have to drop the engine, and I need an floor jack, but are there any special tools or problems I may run into and how intimidating is it? I'm pretty sure I at least need to replace a shift for cause it goes into second hard, that's why I want to do this, just trying to get myself prepared.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:48 AM

How hard it is depends on who you ask. I've done several tranny jobs so I don't think it's hard, but someone who has never done one might disagree. Get a good shop manual (Honda manual is good for specs, but Haynes has better illustrations for 1st timers). Study the job over and over til you get familiar with it. You can replace shift forks without splitting cases (if you have tiny hands).

Old 04-07-2010, 04:24 PM

Well, I've done valves and carbs before, I have a honda manual, but no hynes. I don't have really tiny hands, but the manual says in one place you can change shift forks with the engine in the bike, and contradicts itself in another place.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Except on the newer 'cartridge' trannys I've never been able to do the shift forks without removing the engine and splitting the cases. It's not hard but you will need plenty of clean space and all the special tools. Also helps to have a buddy around when removing the engine.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The hardest part would be splitting the cases. You can turn the engine upside down and just pull off the lower case. Be patient with this process so that you don't damage the mating surfaces. Once you've separated the cases, you can get to work on the tranny. When assembling the cases, go easy on the goo. Also make sure that you've cleaned the mating surfaces well. You'll want to let it cure for a good 24 hours before dumping oil in.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:51 PM

Yeah, I'm hoping I can borrow some of the special tools and floor jacks when I have to do it, otherwise I really couldn't do it. I figure it's going to take a huge amount of time from all that has to come off of there before it can be split, not to mention that it will be cold lol.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:16 AM

You don't really need any special tools. An electric impact helps (especially getting clutch basket off).

Old 04-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Originally Posted by cbr900racer77
You don't really need any special tools. An electric impact helps (especially getting clutch basket off).
This is true. Otherwise take the basket out with the engine still attached. Put it in gear and have someone sit on it and apply the brakes. Will keep it from spinning through while you remove the basket.

Special tools depends on what sort of animal you're working on. My '04 CBR was basic sockets. Old Katana and Busa required special sockets to remove the engine mounting bolts and setting the gaps

Old 04-08-2010, 07:34 PM

Isn't that hard on the gears?

Old 04-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Originally Posted by dyracuse
Isn't that hard on the gears?
Nope ...

Quick Reply: How hard is transmission work?