CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

hot r/r??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hot r/r??

My R/R get's really hot when i start my bike, i tried searching the subject but found plenty of people asking but not many answers....i'm jumping my bike if that would mean anything?

Old 05-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: hot r/r??

so im assuming you are having trouble getting the bike to start and also it will start but then you go somewhere shut it off and then have trouble getting it started again?

if you answered yes then you probably need to replace your RR

Old 05-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Registered Users

I replaced the rr yesterday along with the wiring that leads to it, as it was idling i bumped the rr and it was hot, not melting hot but it had a good bit of warmth to it so i shut it off not wanting to cause damage....so what would cause the rr to overhead within 30 seconds of idling? thanks for the info though

Old 05-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

to get that hot that fast i would say a faulty RR but if you just replaced it idk.. you might want to look into checking the rest of your elerical like your stator and battery. if there is a drain somewhere else it could be causing your rr to get hot

Old 05-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Registered Users

i wouldnt suppose anybody could be a lamb and start your bike up for me and tell me if your rr get's warm after about 30-45 seconds....i'm wondering if this is just normal, cuz its supposed to get some tempurature to it right? I replaced my stator and the rr is still getting decently warm unfortunatly i never paid this part any attention befor all this so i dont know what's normal for it....maybe i already fixed the problem.....thanks in advance

Old 05-16-2007, 09:35 PM

I just bought a R/R from a suzuki gsxr 1000 and put it on my bike... its not a direct plug in, but you can buy them on ebay for anywhere from 20 to 50 used and they will deffinately not overheat!!! Its way better than paying 120 every two seasons or so! Do it! there is a thread on here that says "problem solved" something and it tells you how to do it.. look into that!!

Old 05-17-2007, 03:02 AM

ORIGINAL: xcrusader12

I just bought a R/R from a suzuki gsxr 1000 and put it on my bike... its not a direct plug in, but you can buy them on ebay for anywhere from 20 to 50 used and they will deffinately not overheat!!! Its way better than paying 120 every two seasons or so! Do it! there is a thread on here that says "problem solved" something and it tells you how to do it.. look into that!!
+1

I've done this mod, and haven't had a problem yet ::Fingers Crossed:: It's been 3 mouthes.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:41 AM

I am new to CBR 600 F3 and have a few Q's about R/R -how do you know when the R/R has broken? what do they do? where abouts are they? and do they always break regularly?

Cheers

Mike

Old 05-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Banned

What are you jumping your bike with? A car? Too much amps for that bike battery. That could be the cause of your problems if that's what you're doing.

The R/R does get hot and honestly, I don't know if anyone has an answer as to what temperature it gets to. It's going to be pretty quick though, since it starts working when the bike is started. Don't know if the GSX-R ones have the fins on them or not, but it helps a lot. Just like a bigger heatsink for a processor.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Users

I was jumping my bike off a car, but it wasnt running. My r/r's still getting hot to the touch but not burning, been a few hundred miles but it's still kickin sooooo i guess it's supposed to get reasonably warm a mechanic told me that they do get pretty hot, which is why its mounted where it is, and on the metal plate like it is