CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Hi, Starting problem. CONFUSED ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hi, Starting problem. CONFUSED ???

Hi,
Im new to the forum and have just brought a 98 f3, which was restricted with the washers inbetween the carbs and head. Runing fine when purchased.

Ive since removed them to gain the full power of the bike, started fine. but then thought id take the cct out to give it a clean (suspected it could be sticking due to noises). The cct is a standard automatic type and looked in good condition, so reasembled the bike and tried to start it.

This is when it sudenly wouldnt start even with choke, there was also noise coming from the engine when i tried to start it. Im wondering whether the timing could of gone out. Im have basic knowledge and have ordered a manual for the bike but would be greatfull if anyone could shine some light on my problem.

I think thats all the details but i will try n give anymore if needed.

Thanks.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

When you removed the CCT, did you retract the plunger prior to removing it ? There is a special tool you either make or have that is used to wind the internal spring up. How would you describe the noise and where's it coming from (the noise) ?

Is it possible it's just out of gas or the fuel petcock is off ?

Old 02-02-2010, 02:27 AM

No i didnt, I just removed it using the two bolts either side.

I checked everythin like that, including fuel lines. everythin looked in order. I guess i could pull them to make sure fuel is passing through.

Well the noise was kinda clunky, and sounded like it was coming from near the bottom of the engine. I know nothing got in there when i removed the cct because i pluged the hole.
Do you think it would be possable to knock the timing out that much to cause the valves to hit the piston??
Thanks for your help,

Old 02-02-2010, 10:12 AM

sorry to change the subject but was it hard to remove the restrictor kit as i have one on mine and it needs to come off

Old 02-02-2010, 10:40 AM

No really easy, side fairings, seat, tank off. then airbox then you can undoo the rubber bits with a LONG screwdriver that go between the carbs and the head. Then pull carbs away to reveal the offending washer. Remove and rebuild bike job done..

I dont thin they ever rejet with this sort of restriction so should run sweet

Sorry i know its short but no time, and theres loads of things on here telling you how too take the cabrs of or get to them atleast....

Hope this helps a little lol

Old 02-02-2010, 11:05 AM

Did you just install the CCT with the plunger all the way out or did you screw in the adjuster then install? Once installed you then tap it or unscrew it a bit & let the tensioner do the rest.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 AM

Unfortunately i didn't have a manual at the time, and i just installed it in with the plunger all the way out. I now know how to check that the cam chain hasnt slipt outa place/timing. so am gana check that before i try to start it.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 AM

There is so much tension on the chain that its trying to pull the cams & crank together. Thats prolly the noise you are hearing. Im actually supprised that the tensioner didnt break. Its like overtightening a drive chain. You can wear out the output shaft bearing & the wheel bearings very fast. You need to remove the tensioner before trying to start it again & install it the correct way & you might get lucky & the cam chain be ok.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:50 AM

Thankyou very much,

That would make sence. Ive checked the timing, Checked valve clearances and all seemed fine. I cleaned the carbs for good measure and i will be putting it all back together tonight and tomorow morn so ill let you know how it goes

Thanks

Old 02-08-2010, 03:26 AM

PERFECT!!!

Finished all the work late last night, didn't have any time to test her.
Got up this morning to use her for work and she ran like a dream

Thanks for the help
a great introduction to a great forum

Quick Reply: Hi, Starting problem. CONFUSED ???