CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Help! I got lost with my electric problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! I got lost with my electric problem

Hi guys,
Sorry, it’s a pretty long post, but Itried to to explain eveything and really need some help.
First time my bike stuck about 80 miles from home. I took my wife down the shore and we found ourselves far away from home with dead bike. After spending 2 hours trying to figure out the problem I managed to fire it up and we were safe. I rode the bike for about 3 weeks – no problems. Second time. Again I took my wife, rode the bike about 15 miles – the bike stopped working. But I what I figured out is that it was a fuel pump not pumping gas. The starter worked but the bike wouldn’t start. I noticed that that the battery drained about half also, but still had enough power for starter. $145 for towing service, and I am home. I changed the fuel pump, made complete electrical test and RR test. OK, everything was fine. I drove the bike every day to my work for about two weeks with no problems. I also took it to a track and rode the s….t out of it – not a single problem.
But, then, again, I took my wife to the shore and the bike stuck just in the middle of the road after 30 mins of riding.. I noticed that odometer and speedometer measurements started shaking like hell !! Then the bike finely died and the battery was completely dead. Another $200 for towing. Came back home, charged the battery, retested the rectifier and everything else I could – fine results. I put voltmeter on the bike, rode for about 20 miles. It showed 14 volt almost all the time at 70 mph. 14.5 V max and 13.7 V min. But most of the time it was 14. The battery is charging and everything seems to be fine. I just don’t know what else I can do. Why does it always happen when I take my wife with me ??? NO NO, please no comments on that. Seriously is it possible that RR starts overheating with increased load? Why my dashboard units were showing crazy readings? Is there a possibility of short somewhere? What seems to be the problem??? Yeah, I am going to buy AAA now, but what else? Should I just sell the sucker???
I am desperate (((

[IMG]local://upfiles/13532/53828739A3D244C38F9DB7CE71C8BAA5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13532/025E49B8464449DDB8B5EFA6B49B8C24.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help! I got lost with my electric problem

I reckon you have a typical reg problem, despite the fact that your readings are coming back ok.
Your reg overheats & then starts to die, but at 1st the problem is only intermittent, Wot is going happen is that eventually it will die altogether.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:37 AM

I took my buddy for ride yesterday. We rode the bike together trying to push it as hard as possible. We also dragged knee at the parking lot - not a glitch. Voltmeter never dropped a volt. Its just strange to me. I rode the bike to work today - again, so far so good.[:-]

Old 08-26-2008, 09:54 AM

Dude mine did they same thing I was on my way on a 150 mile trip and I was pushing 100+ and they thing losty all power int he fastlane. I had to get it towed,I changed the alternator,but I still feel that didnt solve the problem and everything checked out fine witht he volt meter. Im just going to sell mine....I have the exact same symtoms though..

Old 08-26-2008, 10:15 AM

Did you change your RR also? Usually its a common problem with F2/F3 models. A friend of mine had RR replaced with GSXR one on his F2 - worked like a charm since than. But his RR died for sure - did not showany charge. Mine works fine so far. I keep riding my bike with voltmeter attached to it (pretty ugly look), trying to spot the problem. I guess the problem will show up again when I am 100 miles from home (((. I am lost.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:59 AM

Desperado,

You think a F4 R/R ,might work?

Old 08-26-2008, 12:50 PM

Hey,
Just look at this thread. You can make a test of RR. In my case the test came out OK. So thats why I am confused. SOme people say that it's gonna die anyway by looking at my problems. It workswhen its cool and dies when itgets hot(and it getsreal hot!!!).But so far this sucker works fine. I would not recommend RR from F4. I bought one from GSXR - big guy. Thats what other people recommend. I got mine for 25 bucks off Ebay. My buddy changed his on F2 and his bike worksflawlesly. From what i ve heardHonda rectifiers tend to die often. So, before you put your bikeon craigslist try the charging system test. You might find you RR faulty and thats all you need. Post here with updates. I ll continue fighting with mine.

http://cbrworld.net/photos/tutorials...%3D2%26hl%3Den

I