CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

help diagnosing a noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:59 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help diagnosing a noise?

Hi all, ive tried and tried to find a thread somewhere with a matching issue but i've failed! so here goes.

its a 600 f3 1995, i went out for a 30 mile ride around some back roads to make sure everything is running smoothly, (didn't have enough time for a whole day out :-( )

i had a pillion and i was playing a bit so i guess the engine was a bit warmer than it usually is when i'm on it solo, at the end of the ride i pulled up, clutch in and let my friend jump off the back, at that moment i noticed a subtle clunking, it was consistent (2 or 3 clunks per second), and did not disappear with the clutch in or out, or when i flicked to neutral etc. it was not audible above idle, or at any point during the ride. 99% sure it is nothing to do with the sprocket/chain side, i have changed the oil and filter very recently, i checked the cam chain tensioner and it is functioning as it should. it had a full service last year with sparks, filters (fuel, air, oil), carb balance and the usual gubbins

i will try to replicate the sound this weekend coming when i can get some opinions on it, unless anyone has had or knows of a problem i should be looking for? is a stiff cam chain link possible? i'm a bit paranoid about it as i have a big tour coming up at the end of may and i really don't fancy the bike going pop while im in the middle of the pico's!

any help is massively appreciated!

Old 04-14-2014, 09:33 PM

So the sound is in time with the engine right? Not a random pattern? Might sound stupid but when you changed the oil did you fill it all the way back up? Did you try any new oil or anything? I would use a long screwdriver as a hillbilly stethoscope to try and pinpoint the sound, could be a valve or worst case a bearing

Old 04-15-2014, 03:45 AM
Registered Users

yes,all in time with the engine. i have it idling at about 1.3-4k revs, any higher and the noise goes/is drowned out by the engine/exhaust. its 10w40 oil, same weight as the previous oil. it took 4L but i think that is a bit low considering i changed the filter at the same time, i will check that as soon as i get time friday morning.

the sound seems too heavy to be a valve, or at least its unlike any valve issues i've heard before. a bearing is a possibility though. if i were to guess at a pinpoint i would say it came from the stator cover (left engine cover) i guess it could be something in there? but thats a very loose guess at best

Old 04-17-2014, 10:32 PM

Maybe a cct? Should have sound on the right side of the bike though.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Registered Users

hi guys, i had a play with the bike this weekend, its amazing how quickly I take the fairings on and off after a year or so of fiddling!

i faffed getting the oil level perfect, took it out and i still had the noise, all be it very faint. so i called in a second opinion. we dug around with the hill billy stethoscope for a while, but by now the sound was faint even through the screw driver. i had fiddled with the cct to check it was working properly before posting. but i decided to pull it out to make sure it was fine. it was working as it should with no sticking or sign of wear.

when i put it back in and re warmed the bike to try and locate it all again it sounded lovely and smooth with no noises bar the humm of the engine and the standard gearbox noise.

no idea what its problem was, i've read some similar stories for the first 50 or so miles after an oil change?

unless there is anything concealing itself that you guys/gals can think of i think i'm all good, thanks for the help so far :-)