CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!

Hey guys. I went to look at my bike today that im thinking about getting.

It has a charging problem. We seem to think its either the rectifier/regulator, or the stator. It has been laid down on the left side, right on the stator cover, so we seem to think the problem is the stator. Also, i want to know is it possible that since it did land on the stator cover, could it have nudged the crank shaft at all? ...could this lead to reduced bearing life? Also, it hasnt been run for a year, so the carbs probably have to be redone. All in all..repairs best case scenario = $160+carb cleaning $200. Seem right? Worst case scenario, replace stator, runs for a while then spins a crank bearing. New engine needed.

Do you think AS-IS, not knowing exactly what is wrong, is it worth $2400. The body is great, just a little scrape on the plastic where it was laid down, and the stator cover is all scratched. 12,000 miles, there is oil on the bottom of the fairings, might be from an oil change....

Anyways, thanks in advance for the help guys.
~Justin

Old 08-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HELP!!!

All those things are possible! Electrical probs on the CBR is usually the reg, but since it went down road??
The scenario you mentioned could be possibel, If it was me I'd walk away, and spend the xtra cash you may need in fixing it, buying a model in better shape

Old 08-15-2007, 08:30 PM

well it is in pretty good shape. It only went down going about 10mph. The scratches are very mild. Yes, the scenario exists, but what are the chances? We got it running jumping it off of a car, but as soon as you took the jumper cables off, it died. You say the regulator? How many times out of 10 do you think it is the reg.?

Old 08-16-2007, 03:47 AM

Sounds unlikely that it would have nudged the crank shaft if it only went down at 10mph, if the cover was dented then I would be worried, but if it is only lightly scratched I wouldn't have thought so. I personally wouldn't jump a bike off of a car, but would use a trickle charger. Sounds like you want the bike, but like pacemaker said you could spend the xtra cash you may need in fixing it, buying a model in better shape.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know the exact %, but every CBR (& VFR) will die in the **** sooner or later from reg problems. Its their biggest weakness, everyone either assumes its the battery or the rectifier. There is a problem diagnosing the reg. They break down from heat, & they don't just fail altogether (mostly) its gradual, so when they start to fail their hot, usually if you take it to the shop or (do it yourself after some fanny scratching) they cool down by the time you get to em, enough to give a positive read, so make sure its hot when you do the fault testing. Do a search on this site & you will see that this problem comes up every other week. Most of us assume its the battery & replace it, I did because my battery was 8 years old (& it probably would still be there). Eventually they give up altogether & even clutch starts won't get home.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:00 AM

well this thing wont charge at all. the second you take the jumper battery off, it dies. My guess is it is the regulator. If not then its either a connection, or the stator. Could you provide me with any details for testing the regulator? I do not have a repair manual yet, but im going to get one by the end of this season.

As for the oil on the bottom of the bike, do you think this could be from the oil change performed last season if it hasnt been riden since?

Old 08-16-2007, 07:57 AM

What colour is the oil stain on the plastics? Honestly i doubt that the oil still be there or you would notice it even he it was there. Oil is so light in colour when new that it would be a hard job to spot it unless its leaking and dripping. Change the battery first. If its old it wont hold the charge at all. Good luck

Old 08-16-2007, 08:01 AM

Brand New battery. Even if it the battery was bad, it should still stay running because of the charging system, it would keep it running. When you run your hand on the bottom of the bike you get some oil on your hands...

Old 08-16-2007, 12:50 PM

allright. It looks like i am going to test the regulator first. It seems that this is the most probable cause of my troubles. Anything i should really look for? Will the F2 regulators work on my F3?

Old 08-16-2007, 01:17 PM

Doesn't sound good if you get oil on your hands from touching the bottom of the engine, sounds asthough there is a leak there somewhere, have you looked around the oil filter to see if it has been done up tight?