CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

HEEELP! Cleaned Carbs, wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEEELP! Cleaned Carbs, wont start!

Hey guys, hopw you've all heard my story, if not here is a quick run down:

Bike was running great, 100% like a top!!! WOndeful! Ran it out of gas..... cylinder 2 stoped firing, hoped it was a fouled plug, changed all of em (100 bucks for these f'in plugs... easter sunday had no choice but to buy them)

Plugs were fine, and actually the old ones looked perfect but I was in so deep and already bought them, but mostly was hopful- so I still replaced them all

DID NOT WORK!!! Grrrrr- that mean the carb (I hope) Soooo I ripped it out, cleaned it all, soaked jets and followed a few online tutorials from this forum (THANKS!!! GREAT FORUM YOU GUYS ROCK) This is my first time ever attempting this too btw.

Soo, I assumed I did it right, connected all hoses and put everything back together. Tried to start it....... NOTHING! A few partial bluh bluh buuhhhhh, a few backfires but basically just the starter cranking (i wont run it for more then 20 sec)

HEEEEELPPPPP ---- I DO DIRT, MAD HATTER, I KNOW YOU GUYS CAN SOLVE THIS!!!!

Old 04-14-2012, 05:41 PM

remember, it ran perfect prior to me runnig it empty and clogging #2 cylinder....

checked fuel pump, squrtin like made, check randomly #1 cylinder spark (easist to get to) and it was firing..... so I was like, "got fuel, got sprak, do i got air?" so i checked my hoses, all seem fine and connected, nothing left over, everything went to its proper connector!!

So, got spark, got fuel, got air.... took the air filter housing off and sprayed, ugh- i dread this, i sprayed quick start into the carbs............. and it did nothing!!!!!! a few bluh bluh blahhhhhhhhhhhhh and a few back fires and a few flames (obviously) but no running! WHY COME ON, I HATE THIS, I LOVE MY BIKE, AND SHE WAS RUNNIG PERFECT, BUT NOTHIN NOW??? COME ONNNNNN!!! PLZ HELP!

Old 04-15-2012, 11:42 AM

come on guys, 75 views and not one responce??

Old 04-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said the 2nd cylinder stopped firing but you only checked for a spark on the 1st cylinder? Check the 2nd one out. Did you at all mess with the idle speed screw while taking the carbs out? I always back the screw out and then slowly turn it in while trying to fire the engine up for the first time after a dissassembly. You can hear the engine start to catch as you get closer to the correct idle speed.

Double check that you have the correct wires going to the correct plugs, which you should have gapped also. Make sure you also plugged in the throttle position connection when you put your carbs back on?

Last edited by Hootie233; 04-15-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Re edit.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:26 PM

Gonna ask the dumb questions here. Petcock is open, right? No kinks in the fuel line? Filter good?

Old 04-16-2012, 03:54 AM

yup, fuel is even in the float chambers..........

Old 04-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure you have good spark? Your ignition pulse generator could have taken a dump on you. If you measure the voltage from it while cranking the bike, you should get a minimum of .7 V. Check it at the red connector next to the battery and then measure the voltage at the ICM connector.
White/Yellow (+) Yellow (-)
Post your results. If you've got good voltage at both locations, then moving onto the coils would be the next step.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:01 AM

thanks for the tips guys, i just brought it to my local shop. I nearly blew up in a fit of rage after nothing worked out right... I know its something small too, thats the most annoying part- all the step by step tutorials provided make it so easy if you take the time, and I did...

Anyways if I didnt send it out, I would lose my mind and burn it down. Very depressing still.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:42 PM

what did you ever find out becuase i am experiencing the same problem i got my carbs cleaned changed my plugs and oil and all it will do is backfire. its devistating haha and i really dont want want to take it to my local honda because they take forever and i have so much time into making it right an its still completly torn down. thanks

Old 05-01-2012, 06:17 AM

dude I fixed it, but it is a **** off:

I left too much cleaner and junk inside my carbs when I reconnected them, after trying to fire it up, it shot all the cleaner onto the plugs and fouled them, fouled them bad!

Since I had put brand new plugs in it 1 day prior I wrote that off as being the problem and tried to look for somthing else, but there was nothing else.

Even though the plugs were makin spark, it was not consistant or quality spark.... I replaced them all and BAM, fired up first shot. All fixed

Quick Reply: HEEELP! Cleaned Carbs, wont start!