CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Hearing a funny noise?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hearing a funny noise?????

Hey everybody-

I have had my F3 for about 4 weeks now. I changed the oil the other day. I was going to put 10W-40 Full Synthetic in it but the Auto parts store was out. So instead I found some 20W-50 specially formulated motorcycle oil. I changed the oil and the filter and put in 4 quarts just like the manual called for. Then I started it and checked it.

Everything was good so I went out for a ride. When I got back I heard a loud steady ticking or knocking in the head. I only hear it when it idles. I cannot hear it or feel it on the rode. I don’t feel any lose in power either.

Anyone experienced this before? Any thoughts on what it may be or how I can fix it?

I have been told I need to adjust my valves. Do you think this could be it? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks, I appreciate any insight.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Default RE: Hearing a funny noise?????

mines doing the same thing

Old 06-28-2006, 06:30 PM

it's the cam chain tensioner. the most problematic part honda has ever produced. go with a manual tensioner andsave yourself a headache

Old 06-28-2006, 07:59 PM

Your right that will fix the prob and noise 100%

Old 06-28-2006, 09:47 PM

What is a cam chain tensioner? How do I go with a manual one? Is it expensive and is it difficult to do by myself?

Thanks for all the help guys

Old 06-28-2006, 11:56 PM

ORIGINAL: DempsRS

What is a cam chain tensioner? How do I go with a manual one? Is it expensive and is it difficult to do by myself?

Thanks for all the help guys
yes the same, question, i would like to know too! thanks dustin

Old 06-29-2006, 12:39 AM

http://cbrzone.com/sprockets.html

Old 06-29-2006, 01:34 AM

I am kind of having the same problem, is it a rattling noise when idling and when you pull the clucth in you dont hear it anymore? I jsut started having that problem today, when I got my bike back on the road. Will this cause it not to shift in gear and bog down for a minute and then when it is back into position it will drive fine.

TB

Old 06-29-2006, 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: balltj

I am kind of having the same problem, is it a rattling noise when idling and when you pull the clucth in you dont hear it anymore? I jsut started having that problem today, when I got my bike back on the road. Will this cause it not to shift in gear and bog down for a minute and then when it is back into position it will drive fine.

TB

That issue that you are having is not the one that I am describing here. However, I HAVE THAT EXACT SAME PROBLEM TO. It is so weird that you mention that. When I sit at a stop sign and put it in neutral and let the clutch out I hear and feel a rattle. When I pull the clutch in it goes away. I have not noticed any performance issues, i just figured it was normal.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:44 PM

My cbr was makeing the same noise, I replaced the chain tensioner, with one from cbr zone, works great easy install. Took a bit to ajust but not bad. Take your time if its to tight the chain will eat the guides no fun I can tell you from experence, if you not sure set it lose start it listen then turn the bike off ajust and start it agin.

My bike also makes the same noise in netral and I have been told that that is normal for some bikes cluches to be nosie when out of gear and in netral

Quick Reply: Hearing a funny noise?????