CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F3 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/)
-   -   handle bars (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/handle-bars-133114/)

LilPit21 12-22-2011 05:49 PM

handle bars

My handle bars wobble when i go over bumps or rail road tracks. Is that normal?

MadHattr059 12-22-2011 09:08 PM

No. It is not normal and you shouldn't ride the bike until you address the issue.
If that wobble leads to the bar(s) coming loose, that would be VERY BAD.

Check the pinch bolts on the bars themselves as well as the pinch-bolts on the tripple
trees. You don't specify exactly where the wobble is, so I'm also going to suggest
checking the steering head bearings as well. Although most people notice a "clunk"
noise when putting on the brakes, where the steering-head bearings are concerned.

Post more detail on where the wobble is originating from and we'll be able to help
you figure the problem out better.

But DON'T ride the bike until you fix the problem.

Ern

LilPit21 12-22-2011 09:21 PM

When I press the front brake hard i hear a clunk noise. And i feel the bars shake.

MadHattr059 12-23-2011 04:34 AM

Sounds like the steering head then.
Support the front wheel off the ground, grab the forks near the wheel and pull straight
forward and back. Look at the stem, if you see any movement of the triple-tree, the bearings
need replacement.

My source for quality bearings is All Balls All Balls Racing
Competitive pricing, fast shipping and they have a part-finder to hook you up with the right kit.

Ern

LilPit21 12-23-2011 10:58 AM

Thanks.im going to look into it and check it out.

LilPit21 01-10-2012 03:12 PM

Got the handle bars fixed and ready to ride. cant wait for nice weather.

MadHattr059 01-10-2012 05:05 PM

What turned out to be the problem? Just curious, to add to my data-base of how
things go wrong, and what the solutions are. ;-)

Ern

LilPit21 01-11-2012 03:53 PM

Well the handle bars were just loose. The mechanic just had to tighten up the bolt where the fork and frame meet. Loosened the nut on the bars and then took a shizzle and hammer and tightened up the bolt. Now my bike is ready to ride.

Will.Bass 01-16-2012 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by LilPit21 (Post 1124021)
Well the handle bars were just loose. The mechanic just had to tighten up the bolt where the fork and frame meet. Loosened the nut on the bars and then took a shizzle and hammer and tightened up the bolt. Now my bike is ready to ride.

A what and a hammer??? why is a hammer even being mention with tightening the stem nut? there is a proper torque to the stem nut, which is 22 ft lbs. (a little tighter then hand tight) the stem lock nut is 90 degs past tight, and the bridge nut is 76 ft lbs.

i would highly recommend pulling your front end apart, and continue to PROPERLY put it back together!!!

LilPit21 01-17-2012 08:12 AM

A chizzle. Like what they use to scrape off small pieces of cement. The guy use to be a mechanic at the harley dealer so i trusted him with my bike. My forks are tightened now and the bike has been riding good. When the weather gets nice out i'll start taking pieces off to check the whole bike.