CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Guys, I need some help. Bike bogging on me

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys, I need some help. Bike bogging on me

****PROBLEM SOLVED!*****

Turns out it was the fuel cut off relay. It was faulty. I ran the bike bypassing the fuel pump and she works great. Troubleshot the fuel cut off relay with a volt meter to find it was faulty. Just purchased a new one, going to fix her right up.

I have been having this recent problem where my bike will bog down on me and die. It first started about a month ago while i was on the highway going around 70 in 6th and all of a sudden the bike started to bog down on me and then eventually I would loose all throttle even though I had the throttle pegged. About 10-15 seconds of coasting later the bike picked back up and went on as if nothing happened.

Since then I brought it to the dealership to get a carb sync to solve some engine knocking from a potential lazy cylinder. The knocking went away after the sync but now it seems the bogging problem is even worse. The bike will run fine for a while but out of nowhere it will start to bog as I describe before when I am riding around and it will come to an eventual stall, which happened at stop lights and stop signs. It seems that the idle is very unstable at times. I took it back to the dealership and they couldnt find anything wrong with it, other than the battery is discharging at 1500 rpms when the fan kicks on.

To try and remedy the problem myself, I drained the tank, filled her back up with high test and through some dry gas in there in case there was some bad gas/water in there.

I cleaned out my air filter, and checked out my charging system using abads guide here: http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/140473.aspx and everything checked out.

Can any think of what could be the problem? Its not the coils, I dont think its the jets, or the plugs. I am stumped.

Last edited by busyychild; 07-30-2009 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Problem Solved
Old 09-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Default RE: Guys, I need some help. Bike bogging on me

can you see through your air filter? kinda sounds like my old problem when it was too dirty to just clean

Old 09-26-2008, 12:20 PM

i dont think so. its dark red. air does pass through it tho.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 PM

Hmmm you have a tough one here, it's not a sync problem orair filter problemI am pretty sure.

I hate it when this happens!

Did you notice when the bike lost power did the head lights turn off like the bike lost all electrical power?

If notI would check your fuel line for kinks or restrictions.

I would check the fuel filter to see if it's flowing freely.

Check the fuel pump by runninga hose from the out put side of the pump, run a hoseto a cup and hit the starter a few times to make sure the pump is working correctly.

Check the vent hoses, make sure there not pinched or plugged causing a vacuum lock in the fuel system.

Possibly you have a pinched line and the bike gets enough fuel to start and run and then dies after the restriction starves the bike of fuel.

Same thing on the tank vent line, a pinched line allows the bike to start and run then as the bikes sucks fuel from the tank and it creates a vacuum and eventuallystalls the motor, then after sitting the vacuum vents off and the bike starts againuntill the vacuum builds up again.

Good luck, hope this helps!

Old 09-26-2008, 11:05 PM

i can get the bike running for a long time, it doesnt seem to exhibit any of these problems tills its warmed up/at operating temp.

im going to replace the fuel filter for good measure, its new since last season but its a cheap part.

ill have to check out all the lines and see if any are clogged, or crimped.

the headlight to my knowledge stays on when it cuts out, no change in that.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:26 AM

Not too sure, but you may have an electrical problem. I've noticed while synching my carbs and the bike idles for a long time (with the headlight on and the fans cycling on and off), the battery voltage will get so low that the idle will become unstable and the bike will do funny things when you don't have enough juice going to the ignition system. Maybe you have a regulator/rectifier problem? I know this is a common item that fails on these bikes.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:41 AM

see thats what i thought about mine when it was dark red like that, i kept cleaning it out and could see through it...then it just became like it had dirty carbs. Sitting at a light it would drop down to 500 or so rpm, and die ifi didnt rev it a little, and on the highways it wouldnt move along like it used to.
Then i got a new OEM filter(the color is supposed to be light red fwi)...lol and wow, no more problems.
either way if its dark red like that, change it. Its cheap, and cant hurt at all right?

Old 10-01-2008, 06:18 PM

Mine was cutting out on me as well at high speeds, and cross referencing these forums, I checked the fuel pump. Sure enough after I pulled that off and opened it up, the two points in it were pretty fried. I filed them smooth again, threw it all back together and haven't had problems yet, but I'll def be in the market for a new pump soon enough.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:27 PM

ORIGINAL: jetmanjr

Mine was cutting out on me as well at high speeds, and cross referencing these forums, I checked the fuel pump. Sure enough after I pulled that off and opened it up, the two points in it were pretty fried. I filed them smooth again, threw it all back together and haven't had problems yet, but I'll def be in the market for a new pump soon enough.
you know what jetman, im coming to the same conclusion. my bike left me pretty stranded tonight for the better part of 2 hours. im gonna pull her apart and see what i can find.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:31 PM

Turned out to be the fuel filter. I had been using a universal phram filter in there for a year now, dont know if that had anything to do with it. I went to the store and got another one of the same filter and it runs fine. I also opened up the fuel pump and poked around in there to make sure everything looked good, as well as made sure the petcock and overflow/vent tubes wernt clogged. I have since ordered an oem fuel filter to put in there so I wont have to worry about it in the future.

Quick Reply: Guys, I need some help. Bike bogging on me