CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

GSXR R/R Ebay Rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSXR R/R Ebay Rant

So i figured out my R/R was bad. I looked at it today and pulled off the sealing crap and inside was melted metal. But thats besides the point.

I ordered a GSXR R/R from an 04'. I knew which one to get because of the post i had found on here. It should have been one plug with 5 wires. Finally got my part last Friday and when i opened the box the R/R was from a newer GSXR with 7 wires

The seller is not answering my e-mails and i am really pissed to be driving my sisters saturn opposed to my bike.

So the questions is will the 7 wire R/R work? Has anyone done it? I can take a picture of it if needs be. The wires contain
3 black - 2 black white -2 black red

Yes i searched and cant seem to find a solid answer.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Default RE: GSXR R/R Ebay Rant

well if the 04 can fit on our F3 with soldering, try searching how to put the 07 on an 04 gixxer, then keep the F3 way in mind
Might work

Old 09-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Registered Users

now i'm not 100% but i THINK you can still use that one, when i did the conversion i used an 03 gsxr r/r but i THINK if you put the 2 black/white's together and the 2 black/red's together it will work...white to green red to red i think red is power white is ground...the three solid black's will go to the three yellow's dont hate me if it doenst work, but i'd do it that way if it were mine

Old 09-09-2008, 10:51 PM

I didnt cut any wiring but i tried it your way sprout. Since i just pulled the plugs through the connector on my stock wiring harness i was able to keep the female metal plugs.

So i plugged those into the GSXR harness containing the all black wires. The way the GSXR harness is setup is a black/white and black/red on each side with a divider inbetween, so i could not just slap a wire in the connector because it could potentially blow a fuse or melt the harness.

But i did manage to plop it in there without it touching.

Conclusion: Even this R/R gets pretty hot, not like my stock one but pretty close. Could this be a sign of a bad stator? Again when i pulled the jumper battery cable the lights dimmed. not a lot like last time but noticeable. Not sure if my battery is crap now (was Brand new few weeks ago)

Shut off the bike but it wont kick over like it had no juice, only enough for the lights etc.

I dont want to cut the harness just just off the GSXR just incase that retard sends me another R/R and expects me to send this one back.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also just bought an r/r for 04 gixxer 600 from ebay, but they sent the right one. I haven't noticed a big difference in the
way it charges, except its slightly higher voltage at idle compared to the old one.It still gets almost as hot as the original.
But I might still have the same problem because the longer I ride the lower it seems to charge compared to when its cold.
Anybody know if the srock replacment r/r on ebay are any better.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:24 PM

i put mine on and forgot about it-bike runs fine no complaintsI also thought it was a bad idea to use jumper cables on your bike?!?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:25 PM

From what i read its only bad to jump the battery when the car you are using is on, because it generates more voltage then Motorcycles do. So i jump my battery when the car is off so you are only getting the voltage from the battery which is around 12 volts instead of the 14.4 volts from a cars charging system.

The guy contacted me today saying he was gonna either ship or drop off the right one. Either way i wont get it until this Friday. Hopefully all will be well by the weekend. Hopefully.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:27 PM

I got a R/R from pacific powersports (on ebay) that looks just like the one that burnt up on me (stock i guess) and it's been fine ever since

Old 09-10-2008, 09:42 PM

I only went with the GSXR R/R because of the reviews on it, it was much larger then our stock one and it had cooling fins to keep the temperatures down. Plus i only paid $40 for the GSXR unit. I cant stand driving my sisters car when i already had the pleasure of riding my bike, seeing it just sitting there makes me sad

Old 09-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Registered Users

yes it will get hot, yes your doing it right as far as the jumping goes with the car off and all . You will have to jump it then ride it for a while like 20+ miles keeping the rpm's in the mid range befor the battery with have enough juice. the r/r get's hot because it's putting juice into the battery as far as your wiring i'm kinda lost but just do like i said up there and i doubt you'll go wrong...once again not a mechanic[8D] just a redneck

Quick Reply: GSXR R/R Ebay Rant