CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

got a free set of carbs the only problem is they have rust in them

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got a free set of carbs the only problem is they have rust in them

how would i go about cleaning the rust out of them... and whats the best way to clean them good

Old 05-21-2011, 06:13 PM

Carbs are mostly aluminum....where is the rust?

Post up pictures.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:58 AM

Rusty sediment from the tank I'm guessing. Good old carb cleaner, a rag and compressed air should get you there. Dipping them is best, but it's a lot of extra work.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:25 AM

Berrymans carb dip in one gallon can. remove ALL non metalic pieces, comepletly disassemble, follow instructions on can. Other option is ultra sonic cleaning, have seen places charge $80 per carb.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Default carb pic

so i should disassemble the carbs and remove all plastic peices and with in a bag and label them so i know which carbs it came from. Then dip them. Question how long should i let them sit in there.

Attached Thumbnails got a free set of carbs the only problem is they have rust in them-cbr-f3-carbs.jpg  
Old 05-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Old 05-22-2011, 08:16 PM

CLR maybe? thats pretty caked on there tho...id disassemble and start hitting it very lightly with a wire brush to knock all that crap loose, then start dipping and or spraying with a cleaner and wiping out...

Old 05-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

In that photo, the only thing that's rusted is the pivot shaft that the brass butterfly plates are screwed to. Now, don't bother trying to get the screws out of that shaft that hold the brass plates on. They're split on the back side to prevent their removal. So, unless you're going to drill them out, just leave them be. The carbs are going to have to be taken completely apart from each other just so you can get all the plastic bits and pieces off. If it were me, I'd be using a solution called Oxalic acid to soak them in to remove the rust. I don't know what kinds of chemicals are in Pin-Sol or other cleaners and how they're going to effect the aluminum that the bodies are made of. Now, I know most peoples reactions to the word acid is going to be bad, but trust me on this. It's perfectly safe and inexpensive. You can get Oxolic acid off ebay for less than $10.

Here is an example of a side stand spring that I let soak overnight in the solution. I didn't do any rubbing or scrubbing, I just put it in and the next day washed it off and this is how it looked.

Before (I know it's not a F3, but it is a Honda, Rebel 250 if you must know)
Name:  DSC04525.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  56.7 KB

After soaking overnight. (yes I took it off the bike)
Name:  DSC04552.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  58.6 KB

Old 05-22-2011, 10:06 PM

None of that rust in the carbs is from the carbs themselves...they're aluminum.

PineSol is water and pine tar essentially....it's safe on all the rubber and plastic and you don't have to take the bodies apart. It's the easiest and cheapest way to clean carbs and it makes them look like new.

If you are going to use Oxalic Acid just buy Barkeepers Friend at Walmart...we use it to clean the glass stove top but it does have the acid in it...however I don't know how it reacts to aluminum.

Idodirt, have you used that stuff on aluminum before?

Old 05-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

No I haven't, good point. I mixed up a batch a few minutes ago and put a piece of angle aluminum in it. I'll leave it overnight and let you know if in am.

Quick Reply: got a free set of carbs the only problem is they have rust in them