CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Is this a good price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good price?

I found a 96 F3 up on Cycle Trader yesterday. It has 8000 miles, no listed mods, and they are asking $2990. Not sure what a reasonable price for these bikes are so I was hoping yall could help me out.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Default RE: Is this a good price?

I am sure that everyone will have a slightly different opinion, but here is my $0.02 ...

From the pictures, it looks like a dealer is selling the bike and dealers almost always charge more than a bike is worth. That being said, as long as EVERYTHING is in great shape, $3K to jump on a nice, solid, and powerful 600CC is not too bad. Just keep in mind that the bike is 13 years old now, and that you can get 2000-2002 600CC bikes for a similar price (at least in my area). Here is a check-list I would go through if I were looking at it:
[ul][*] Fairings - for $3K on a 13 year old bike, they had better be in PERFECT shape (no cracks, no spiderwebs, no chips in the vinyl, etc)[*] Bars/Grips/Pegs - these should not look overly worn, and if any of the rubber on these is cracked, they would need to be replaced[*] Tire wear - tires are semi-expensive and if they are bad, you are looking at a bill of $300-400 immediately[*] Forks - ask the dealer when the forks were serviced (seals, oil, etc), and if they do not know then demand they do a fork service before you ride away[*] Brakes - brake pads should be "new" for 3K[*] Electrical - make sure all the normal stuff works (blinkers, headlamp, taillight, brake light, etc) and then make sure that the gauges work and are backlit like they should be; ask if the battery has been replaced (dealer probably will not have done this, but they should before I would take that old of a bike off their showroom floor)[*] Normal service - ask dealer if they have replaced or serviced the bike for normal things (brake/clutch/throttle cables, spark plugs, plug wires, etc)
[/ul]

With that list in hand, I would just be ready to say no to the dealer if ANYTHING looks amiss. Do not get me wrong, I love my 1995 F3 which I picked up used this summer, but I only paid $900 for the bike itself (in semi-rough shape). They are a great bike and a solid platform for riding! Just keep in mind what I mentioned about being able to find newer bikes for a similar price. That, and keep an eye on your local craigslist and kijiji for private party sales - you will almost always get a better deal from a private party. Good luck in your decision!

Cheers! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 01-18-2009, 02:42 PM

if in good/perfect working order that is a good price for 8k miles. has a slip on too.

for 3k you would not be able to get that much of a newer bike that isnt salvage or is in need of work.

see if you can talk them down. if its a dealer possibly a warranty or a helmet and some gloves. ask, couldn't hurt.

good luck,

Old 01-18-2009, 03:05 PM

Thanks for that checklist ominate; I should be able to head down there and check the bike out tomorrow. Its at a used motorcycle dealership here in Pensacola. I keep close tabs on all the craigslist bikes as well. I just finished my MSF course and I'm looking for my first bike so I want something cheaper. Everything on craigs for around 3K are either 05ish ninja 250s (which put my knees in my chest at 6'2) and trashed 600s. Anyways, thanks again for the advice and I'll be sure to let yall in how it goes tomorrow.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:14 PM

It looks well maintained from the photo. Has a D&D pipe on it too, it seems. If 8k is the actual mileage, it is not a ridiculous price. I purchased my '95 for 2.5k wit 19k miles on it and not as good ofa condition. You'll love the bike though!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:31 AM
March 2009 ROTM

I picked up my F3 this last summer for $3200 and came with a Two Brothers pipe
and a set of flush mount signals.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:05 PM

I went and checked out the bike this morning. It has been dropped on the right side as evident by the scratched fairings bent rear brake pedal and small scratch on the exhaust pipe. The guy said the original owner traded it in for a 1000 and that its never been wrecked just dropped (which kind of sounds like the same thing to me). Everything else looked good though for a 13 year old bike. New rear tire and the front is still good. I had to leave before I got to check out electronics and hear her run. The dealer gave me a price $3100 out the door and he said he'd give me a couple helmets at cost. What do yall think of offering 3K for the bike and 2 helmets out the door (if electronics check out and it runs well). The cosmetics dont really bother me; its my first bike and Im sure Ill put a few more scratches on it. The only thing I dont like is the bent brake pedal.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:34 PM
March 2009 ROTM

I would say as long as you feel good about the deal go for it.
As long as she runs good and all the electric stuff works as well.
you can fix the body and brake, just try to avoid going in over
your head.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:34 PM

Now i know this is not usefull info, butjust for fun..... now you are taling about ekspensive bikes... a bike likethat herein Denmarkcost about 60.000 - 80.000Dkr.. Thats about 11.000 - 15.000 USD.....

Ireally love my F3 -But with those prises.. I would by something newer...

Old 01-19-2009, 09:06 PM

ORIGINAL: gsingletary

its never been wrecked just dropped (which kind of sounds like the same thing to me).
Wrecked would be considered "dropped at speed" and dropped is from standing still, like on the kickstand and such.

If I had 3k, and was in your position, I'd purchase that f3.

Quick Reply: Is this a good price?