CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Gearbox noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox noise

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone knew of any gearbox problems that may occur with the 95 model. Purchased the bike only 2 months ago and it now seems to have a noise coming from the box behind the drive sprocket. But this seems to only be there in low revs and does not matter at hight revs. Bike feels fine to ride and power is still there only thing I do notice is that there is a slight feeling of nocking coming through the foot pegs at the slower rev. Anyone got any ideas ??

p.s - bike has got 66,000KM on speedo if this matters.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Default RE: Gearbox noise

Mine does the same especially if it's in neutral and it idles. You can feel it through the handle bars but when you pull in the clutch it disappears. It's been doing this since I got it (12000km). It know has 31000km on the clock and it isn't any worse and nothing has fallen out or anything. My friends F3 does the same. I was posting a question and somebody on the form had the same problem even after they replaced the clutch. Apparently except for being annoying there's nothing wrong. Probably just a little play on the clutch cage.
If yours is doing the same thing I wouldn't worry about it

Old 06-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the Clutch basket, makes a noise that disappears when you pull the clutch. Its normal. (Mine's done it from new), even seen it mentioned in a few bike mags.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:04 AM

dito, mine does that same thing, if I pull my clutch in slightly the vibrations go away,

Old 06-20-2007, 11:24 PM

mine makes a slight rubbing noise...high pitched but quiet noise when in 6th gear. Doesnt sound like something is wrong, and I kinda like it, so I dont have to count to 6 when on the highway.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:19 AM

Hi its a characteristic of the CBR600. When new Honda had loads of returns to their showrooms and nothing was wrong, as has been stated pull the clutch in, if it dissappears its nothing, however if its vibrating a lot it could be the clutch basket. Again this has been stated but CBR's were characteristically rattley, just as they are when they CLUNK from first to second.

Could be the cam chain tensioner, CCT these do need tightening and cleaning. It is easy enough if you have a manual and some mechanical knowledge but its cheap enough from a dealer.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:48 PM

Hi All
Thanks for the responses. I took the bike to the local Honda dealer and they have told me the noise is the front sprocket. So i am going to get both sprockets and the chain replaced and all should be good.

Scrufdog - Mine does that too, Iknow WhenIgo into top gear from the higher pitched noise as well.

thanks

Old 06-26-2007, 02:52 AM

you are wasting your money. if all these bikes do it, (mine does it a little) then it doesn't matter. spend your money on getting your bike jetted and tuned.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:40 AM

Could be a sprocket problem, if they say get it changed then I probably would coz if you don't and you cause damage to the gearbox or something then you feel very stupid, can you let us know if this remidies the noise, I am pretty certain that the noises most people are experiencing are probably caused by the clutch basket.

Good luck hopefully it is not just a dealer trying to make some money off you.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:15 PM

mine has a noisey clutch basket as well me mate works for honda and said he aint ever had one in that dont sound like that, pooed me pants when i 1st heard it.

Quick Reply: Gearbox noise