CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Fuel type?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel type?

I have a 95 CBR 600f3
I ran out of fuel today after having my bike for about a month.
Thank god for reserve tanks I was able to get home. I didnt want to put the wrong fuel in it, ive heard these bikes can get very unhappy about it.
I changed my service manual but was unable to find the recommended fuel type. If someone could let me know what would be great.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:00 AM

Believe it or not they take 87 regular unless they've had work done, 89-93 won't hurt it, just won't help anything and not worth the money.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:31 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dyracuse
Believe it or not they take 87 regular unless they've had work done, 89-93 won't hurt it, just won't help anything and not worth the money.
i know many people are going to disagree with me on this, but my bike has used 91 gas since i got it... (hell its even been higher with additives) and because of money issues a few weeks ago I used 87 and i thought my bike was going to kill me.. maybe 40k miles of a bike on 91 will make it want ONLY 91 i dunno... but someone told me it leaves less residue and i believed them and used it day 1.

but 87 is quite fine for them.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:55 AM

Nope I agree, I use use 93 in my bike and when I put in 87 it ran ****ty. Burn that out and run 93 always. High the octane the easier it is to ignite in the combusion chamber when give a greater push on the piston, which = to greater VOOM VOOM. Plus it also do burn cleaner, less carbon build up on the valve and piston head.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:06 AM

i dont know enough about it to confirm or deny that

i know high octane can burn up your seals.
who knows about performance, it might be unnoticeable,

all in all i just use what ive been using, cause it works.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:17 PM

The bike was built to run on 87 octane, so it will not harm your engine nor will 93. Just 93 makes it run better and leaving less carbon build up.

A good grade of lower octane is great too, I just don't put it in my bike, because it make my bike run sluggish and I get less gas mileage. When my wife put 93 in her bike (by accident) she was like dang, I going to start using that.

What cause damage to the engine is the carbon build up and you start running 93, the higher heat, heats up the carbon deposits on the valve and piston heads and that what causes engine damage.

I suggest if you going to jump from 87 to 93, run some Seafoam in your engine to clean it. Then use Seaform as a additive in your 87 gas for two week then jump to 93.

Last edited by njdjh2o; 01-29-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:45 PM

There seems to be some great confusion about what octane REALLY does. Octane is RESISTANCE to burning, so all that said premium burns easier just got an F for the day. Higher octane is designed for HIGH COMPRESSION engines, which ours is not, it's only purpose is to prevent predetonation. That being said, if your bike has a lot of carbon build up, then yes, you may need to run 89 or higher to prevent predetonation. Also, if your bike was tuned to run properly on 91 it may need to be retuned for 87, but it should be running on 87 unless there is a problem with the engine, namely heavy carbon deposits, that increase the compression.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:28 PM

well i run seafoam in my tank about once a month, which may seem a little steep, but its got almost 50k in it and i like my bike as clean as it can get...

It's a debatable topic for sure, but like I said, I run what my bike likes, and I know (possibly after years of the same treatment) that it likes 91. That being said, she could use a retune.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:28 PM

Exactly what dyracuse said. Higher octane is much harder to ignite but burns cleaner. So unless ur ignition system has been upgraded you will actually loose a small amount of hp with higher octane. But not enough to really worry about for the average Joe.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by dyracuse

absolutely true. so many people have the wrong information they like to pass around.

Quick Reply: Fuel type?