CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump

Will a 97 F3 run with a fuel pump not working, I have read in the haines manual that you should be able to hear or feel a fuel pump working, I tested this earlier and to be honest couldn't hear a thing over the engine and exhaust and couldn't feel anything either, the bike runs fine, I was just wondering if they need the fuel pump.
Mike

Old 08-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Default RE: Fuel Pump

When the pump is full,it doesn't make hardly a sound.When the pump is near empty,it will vibrate,like a cellphone,only louder.

Now if your pump is no longer functional,your bike will hesitate when you rev it.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:42 PM

Our F3s have fuel pumps? I feel stupid, but I though that they were gravity feed? Are we talking mechanical or electronic? I've never heard a fuel pump noise on mine.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:52 PM

you can see the fuel pump through the fairings it is on the left hand side (if you are sat on the bike) right next to the idle adjuster screw. I think (might be wrong) that the F2's are gravity fed.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:54 PM

Now I think I know what part your talking about, I'm gonna have to pass on advise because I've never messed in that area yet.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:44 PM

sorry about the thread hijack..but do f3 fuel pumps prime when you turn the key? ive seen my bike once and i dont remember if i heard "the noise"

Old 08-21-2007, 06:26 AM

Mike, if the pump's not working fuel won't get through to the carbs, simple as that. I had problems on my old FK with a seizing pump which blew the relay, the effect is just like running out of fuel (because, in a way, you are!). Don't know if it would work on an F3like ours, but on the FK I connected the pipe from the tap through the filter directly into the feeder pipe to the carbs and ran on gravity feed till I bought a new one.
All the CBR600s have pumps, check out the online parts fiche in various places.
The pump does come on with the ignition, try it with the bodywork off and you might hear it ticking or be able to feel it vibrate.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:55 AM

ok. so it does prime, but its not loud. my friends gixxer makes a cute little humming/whistling noise when it primes, so i was expecting my bike to do that too..oh well, quietness is good too!!

Old 08-21-2007, 07:39 AM

Do they prime? I thought only injection engines did that. From my manual the pumps only activates when cranking the bike over and when the engine is running. Yeah Micky I thinkyou are right if the pump stops working the bike wil die. I was wondering coz the manual said you will hear or feel the pump working and I couldn't, I checked it after taking the tank off and checking the air filter and put it back togetherand wantedto make sure I hadn't some how stopped the pump working
Cheers for the info

Old 08-21-2007, 08:22 AM

my "so it does prime"... was more of a stated question than a statement...lol I dont know if his 01 gixxer600 is fuel injected or carburated...

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump