CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Fuel clog????

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel clog????

My bike has been sitting for about a year so I drained the tank out now it sputters and shuts off unless I run it on reserve. Tried fresh gas thats not it. I am guessing a clog, any experts give some advise before I go tearing into it in the morning? It also runs hot but I have read enough here to get a good handle on that problem...anyh help would be nice.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel clog????

Sounds like you definetly have crap in your fuel line/Tank. Have a look at the in-line filter, located just to left of the idle adjuster. (under the left side cover, just behine the fuel tap) Their not expensive and are easy to replace
Drain the carbie float bowls to get rid of the junk from there. Drain your fuel tank (stand back in horror as you watch wot crap comes out of there!!!). Take off the fuel tap and give it a clean, you may need to get a new rubber seal when you put it back) and don't over tighten it when you do. Also any crud in your tank has all sunk and set at the bottom, so it would be worth while taking it off the bike, giving it a good swirl with some petrol & draining it out. There are also some products at bike shops that some say do a better job.

Fuel breaks down after a while and leaves gritty deposits that love to get sucked up into the carbies and can block the jets. Also depending on how much fuel you had in your tank, when you left in for a year, you may also have a bit of rust flaking off the in the tank, so when you have the petrol out, have a look.

The other thing will be water, hot & cold weather causes condensation to form in the tank, and then drop down into the fuel. Loves to sit in the tank & float bowls on top of the fuel.