CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 04:34 AM
2011 Ride of the Year
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

performance wise, the higher the octane, more power. higher octane burns hotter and it gives you bigger explosion inside the cylinder, therefor more power.

the reason you can not run anything higher than than 93octane is that you actually would burn up the rings on the pistons, but you would defiantly would feel the power gain.

i will try 91 next time i fuel up.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu
performance wise, the higher the octane, more power. higher octane burns hotter and it gives you bigger explosion inside the cylinder, therefor more power.

the reason you can not run anything higher than than 93octane is that you actually would burn up the rings on the pistons, but you would defiantly would feel the power gain.

Seriously ?? Are you guys out of your minds or what ? The higher the octane the slower the fuel burns in your engine. That is a fact. If the fuel in your engine was exploding, it wouldn't be around for long. You guys are just spreading myths. It only takes a few seconds to Google Octane Myth.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:48 AM

these are performance machines not a civic, mine gets 91

Old 03-19-2011, 09:30 AM
2011 Ride of the Year

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
Seriously ?? Are you guys out of your minds or what ? The higher the octane the slower the fuel burns in your engine. That is a fact. If the fuel in your engine was exploding, it wouldn't be around for long. You guys are just spreading myths. It only takes a few seconds to Google Octane Myth.

you might be right, but thats what i was told. anyways i will not put anything lower than 91 in my bike, i just might stick to 93.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:00 AM

But putting a higher octane in will make your bike/car/lawn mower faster! Everyone knows that if you make your bike lighter it will be faster. The difference is in the wallet. You put 91+ in there and it requires 87 you have less money in your wallet than if you put 87 in there, making you lighter, meaning your bike goes faster. Also, the less cash in your wallet will make it flatter in your pocket, so you will actually have better aerodynamics. A thinner wallet will also make the butt dyno more accurate.

If the engine is designed for a certain octane level then why question Honda's engineers?

I'm all for finding ways to make your bike faster, but unless you've really modded your engine to need the highest octane, you just "think" you made your bike faster or have it perform better.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:10 AM
2011 Ride of the Year

At higher temperatures the fuel is burned more efficiently. So, while it’s true that the higher-octane fuel does not posses any more energy than low octane fuel, the increased octane allows the extraction of more of the potential energy that has always been there. Conversely, lower compression ration engines utilize a little less of the fuel energy potential (2-4% reduction) but there is also less heat generated in the combustion process.

High Octane

Old 03-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Default well

Originally Posted by Hootie233
I happen to live near a small airport... Can you tell me more about this? Cost? Performance? Is this a good idea ?haha
Well the inside of your muffler will turn brown instead of black "tans the inside of the pipes* i dont run it all the time but when i do it seems to start better and have a quicker throttle response along with improved gas mileage . also it has additives that prevent vapor lock on your fuel system among many other things . i read up on it along time ago when i rebuilt my harley , try a google search im sure you can learn more.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:13 PM

This thread is quite amusing.

-Higher Octane burns cooler, sorry
-Ethanol is what makes fuel burn hotter
-Higher Octane in a regular engine will form a lot of carbon deposits.
-Not only do you guys pay more for unneeded fuel, you pay more for all the seafoam treatments to clean out your gunked combustion chamber.
-Octane rating is PURELY related to compression ratio.
-You do NOT get HP gains unless your vehicle requires high octane
-it is NOT cleaner
-im still laughing at this thread...

-Buy what is recommended for your vehicle.

-*sigh*

Old 03-19-2011, 04:17 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

i did read that it burns longer but not cooler or hotter.

well at this point it doesnt matter at least to me, i just wanted to find out if its ok to run cheaper gas since im new to the streets. i always ran cheap gas in my dirtbike and it ran just fine. i want to save some money as well.

thank you for all of your input. it was defiantly interesting.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu
well at this point it doesnt matter at least to me, i just wanted to find out if its ok to run cheaper gas since im new to the streets.
Yes run the cheap stuff. The only time you need to increase the recommended octane is if you have a lot of carbon build up. The build up can increase compression as well as get hot spots which can both pre detonate your charge. You will hear if this happens (knocking),and it generally will not happen unless your bike has a ton of miles and or was not taken care of.

Quick Reply: Fuel