CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Front Brakes making funny noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brakes making funny noise

I installed new brake pads this week.. THere is a high pitched noise sounds like a high voltage light when its running, like you can hear the electricity running through the light.... thats what it sounds like when I roll and /or apply the front brakes... I thought it was the anti raddler metal strips in the caliper but i'm not sure. Maybe bearings? Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 05-16-2010, 12:04 AM

It's most likely just the disc wearing the grooves into the pad. Over the years each disc wears a little different and begins to have small grooves so it's normal. Ride it a few days and it should go away. And as far as rolling and making the noise, is it when you are slow or all the time?

Old 05-16-2010, 05:14 PM

well if i'm rolling like 30mph+ then put the bike in neutral, I can hear the same noise then when I apply the brakes, that same noise is a tad higher.. That does make sense that the pads are wearing in with the disc.. its been about 75 miles so far w/ the new pads

Old 05-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you put the new pads on, did you clean the discs and bleed the brakes? I know nothing says that you have to when you change the pads. But it'd make sense to do it while you had the calipers off.

Since you say you hear it in neutral with no brakes and it gets higher when you apply the brakes, sounds like the new pads are contacting the rotor constantly. If it persists, I try flushing and bleeding the brakes. And cleaning the discs. Also while you're doing that, pull the new pads and make sure there isn't a foreign object on them. You can prolly look at the discs and tell. If there was something between the pads and discs, it'll prolly have marked the discs

Old 05-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
When you put the new pads on, did you clean the discs and bleed the brakes? I know nothing says that you have to when you change the pads. But it'd make sense to do it while you had the calipers off.

Since you say you hear it in neutral with no brakes and it gets higher when you apply the brakes, sounds like the new pads are contacting the rotor constantly. If it persists, I try flushing and bleeding the brakes. And cleaning the discs. Also while you're doing that, pull the new pads and make sure there isn't a foreign object on them. You can prolly look at the discs and tell. If there was something between the pads and discs, it'll prolly have marked the discs
brake parts cleaner is like 3 bucks at walmart.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by spicymeowmix
brake parts cleaner is like 3 bucks at walmart.
2 for $5 at pepboys

Old 05-16-2010, 07:31 PM

I use a drywall sanding block on the discs. Some of the racer supply places give you one with every new set of pads.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:59 PM

No i didnt bleed the brakes.. actually i had too much fluid cuz the old pads were so worn that i added fluid.. so i took some of the fluid out.. but i did sand the pads a little bbefore putting them in to wear em down

Old 05-16-2010, 09:06 PM

Might want to bleed them then. Piston could be pushed out due to the old brake wear level and forcing the new pads onto the rotor.

And I'd double check there wasn't something between the pads and the rotor too. Is it only from the front brakes? Coming from any particular side? If you have a front stand you can put the bike up on stands and try spinning the tire by hand to isolate the noise

Old 05-16-2010, 11:24 PM

definitly the front.. not sure which side but the right side had a anti-rattling clip in the caliper that fell off when i took the old pads off. I put it back in and installed the new pads.

Quick Reply: Front Brakes making funny noise