CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

forks dip quickly with front brake??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down forks dip quickly with front brake??

my f3 is kind of my stunter, i got it on a trade at the end of summer so i dont know too much about it. it has junk dunlops on it theyre newer but junk imo. when i am hard on the front brakes the forks depress really rapidly not really a smooth motion. sometimes when im trying to do a stopping the the front tire will lock up and the whole front end will chatter (junk dunlops) i was told to turn in my adjusters all the way to hard because its just crappy honda suspension, but b4 i go and do that i figured id ask. i was also thinking it could be bad fork seals but the inner tubes are dry, unless its all the way out of oil?? or i was thinking the chatter could be from a loose steering stem nut??? any ideas?

Old 11-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda suspension, like most Jap bikes is pretty soft. Turning the adjusters all the way in will certainly stiffen them up. But there is more to it than that, as to get them to work better, its a combination of Preload & Rebound damping. You don't want the front so hard the bars will want to shake you off & you don't want so soft that you get thrown over the bars every time you brake.
I would say that a change to a mid weight fork oil will fix your preference for a firmer ride. Also give you a chance to check out the state of the fork internals.
Loose head bearings will cause chatter at the front for sure.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:01 PM

from the sounds of it, like the last guy said, its a combo of both the fork springs and the oil. if the forks are compressing as much as u say then your more than likely low on oil if not almost gone. you wont always see oil leaking from your seals (I know from experience) i suggest following the last guys suggestion and switch to a mid grade fork oil and also checking the internal fork components before reinstalling. once you have the forks back on the bike test ride it. If the forks are still too soft for what you do then take a flat head and adjust the nut for small adjustments and a wrench for larger adjustments. i forget but i think turning counter clockwise makes suspension harder. i hope it all goes well!

Old 11-05-2010, 01:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my Haynes:
Name:  Suspension.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  265.5 KB

Old 11-05-2010, 08:48 AM

I used these settings as my base starting point and am really happy with the results. I weigh 210 lbs.

http://www.sportrider.com/suspension...ngs/honda.html

Old 11-05-2010, 08:46 PM

thanks for all the advice guys ill give it a try

Old 11-22-2010, 09:48 AM

I had the same problem with my 95 honda cbr 600f3. after reading around and I decided to just take the whole brake lever off. I noticed a bunch of rust and dirt on the lever when i took it off. I cleaned with with WD40 and also sprayed some DW 40 on the screw that holds the lever on. I put it all back together and it works perfectly now! good luck.