CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

First cbr have some questions....

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive only ever used the cheap gas, low octane, and as long as Ive owned the bike over 10 years Ive never had a problem.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
There is a relay to the pump under the seat. when the ignition is turned on it runs for a few seconds and primes the bowls. After that, I believe it is triggered by ignition demand. It does not run continuiosly. There is at least one thread that goes into the diagnostics of the fuel pump. Check both the How-to as well as the specific F3 sections for fuel pump/priming threads.

Hope this helps, Ern
On the F3, the pump only runs when the engine is running. The pump does not prime like a fuel injected bike. Just a little clarification on it's operation.

Originally Posted by F3Nelson
Ive only ever used the cheap gas, low octane, and as long as Ive owned the bike over 10 years Ive never had a problem.
+1, high octane just drains the wallet faster.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
+1, high octane just drains the wallet faster.
I thought these bikes had a high compression ratio like 10:1 or 11:1 or so i was told or read somewhere, i don't recall where i got the info but whom i bought it from said it needed premium 91+ petrol . Have i been played?

EDIT: I found this website with the info saying it's 12:1 compression which i would say requires 91+ octance unless you like pinging.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...600f3%2096.htm

Last edited by Bike_Kid; 09-16-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Added Website info.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bike_Kid
I thought these bikes had a high compression ratio like 10:1 or 11:1 or so i was told or read somewhere, i don't recall where i got the info but whom i bought it from said it needed premium 91+ petrol . Have i been played?

EDIT: I found this website with the info saying it's 12:1 compression which i would say requires 91+ octance unless you like pinging.

Motorcycle Specs
It's a common misconception that higher compression is what decides the recommended octane rating. However, it's just part of the equation. Plug temp, ignition timing, etc play a larger role.
If you read the F3 owners manual, you'll see that Honda recommends 86 or higher.

Now here's where the even bigger confusion comes in.
In the USA, we use the AKI rating system for octane. Most other places use RON. Some manuals (and fuel stickers) will show the recommend RON rating of 91 octane or higher. 91 RON = 86 AKI (US regular pump gas).
Running anything higher than regular 87 in the USA should not be necessary in an F3.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
It's a common misconception that higher compression is what decides the recommended octane rating. However, it's just part of the equation. Plug temp, ignition timing, etc play a larger role.
If you read the F3 owners manual, you'll see that Honda recommends 86 or higher.

In the USA, we use the AKI rating system for octane. Most other places use RON. Some manuals (and fuel stickers) will show the recommend RON rating of 91 octane or higher. 91 RON = 86 AKI (US regular pump gas).
Running anything higher than regular 87 in the USA should not be necessary in an F3.
this note about ratings is definitely something to consider especially when reading information from Japan (where all these import bikes are from). in Japan they use straight RON ratings but in the USA its RON+MON/2 (average of the 2) aka AKI rating. for Subaru's, in the Japan the STi is rated for "98" but thats the Japan RON rating which is more like 92 or 93 in the usa, which means you can get by with premium 92 on a japanese STi engine and ECU

Old 09-17-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout

well i guess i just learned something new today then, i knew about the different ratings between countrys but wasn't that educated on it as i am now. I did skim through that service manual i got online but could find it, i'll look again unless the manual you speak of is like a factory manual like you get with a car, i just got mine this year so of course i got it used lol.

Thanks!