CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Finished Painting and Overhauling my F3

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished Painting and Overhauling my F3

Just finished painting myF3 this past weekend (picture stamp date in wrong, should read 4-20-08). Picked the bike up last fall andit wasthe nasty purple with lots of rash on the plastic. I repaired all broken plastic with epoxy and fiberglass mat and some automotive plastic bondo to smooth out some other stuff. The prep took forever having to sand every inch of all plastic/gas tank. I set up a paint booth in my garage out of some tarps and bought a HVLP paint sprayer from Harbor Frieght to spray the color and clear. I bought the color and clear froma localautomotive body shop supply store...very expensive paint which costs around $150 for the quart of clear and activator, quart of color and reducer, and the plastic bondo.

Once thing I recommend to anyone thinking of doing this...make sure that when you takedecals off, clean the residue left behind COMPLETELY before you prep sand it. I ended up not cleaning the residue off a couple pieces and sanded that gunk into the plastic. Basically what happened was the color would not take on the portion of the plastic where the sticker used to be. I ened up having to repaint two pieces because of this. The primer did not completely sheild the paint from reacting with the sticker residue. Lesson learned...clean, clean, clean, then sand.

Now its completely tuned up, has anew paint job , and some new lights etc... I'll be taking it out today for the 1st time! btw...the bike is very dusty still from the clear coat overspray that got into the air. Going to wait another week beforeI think about touching the new paint job and cleaning all that dust off.

I went from this:

To this:

I got the color scheme idea from someone's bike on this forum...I think his name was "ffingers" Thanks man!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Default RE: Finished Painting and Overhauling my F3

look nice, good job. The longest part of paint is the prep stage. Enjoy

Old 04-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Registered Users

it very well might have been me...lol..if it was...no problem...1400 posts does that to you...

either way...looks awesome!!!

i love red/black!

Old 04-24-2008, 11:20 PM

Sweet!

And, uh, I might be copying that scheme too

Old 04-26-2008, 10:48 AM

Looks like my bike!!!! Good job! How did you get the red Honda sticker to stick to the black though? Mine is Rhino Liner so stickers don't stick.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:21 AM

ORIGINAL: A4wheelin

Looks like my bike!!!! Good job! How did you get the red Honda sticker to stick to the black though? Mine is Rhino Liner so stickers don't stick.
OOPS! It was you that I got my color scheme from I couldn't remember who it was and my PMs got erased somehow. But yea I used Dupli-Color spray on bedliner for the black section. I had to paint the bottom HONDA sticker red then press them on real hard. I wasn't going to clear over the bedliner but decided to after I realized the stickers would not stick very good. It actually turned out real good and the stickers aren't going anywhere now.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:03 PM

Nice job on the paint, but, no offence intended, I like the stock colors better. I guess I am kind of partial to the stockpaint schemes.

Mine:

Old 04-28-2008, 03:23 PM

I kinda like the original F3 sticker on the side... but that looks really good. If I ever need to do any major repair, I'm totally going to use that paint scheme. Nice work.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:10 AM

My original plan was to put the "F3" where I put the "CBR" sticker but I didn't like the font of the "F3" with the sticker set I ordered. It basically looked exactly like "F3" and was styled like the "CBR" sticker. Oh well, I like how it turned out and actually like it that I'm not advertising its an F3...keeps people guessing

Old 04-29-2008, 01:27 PM

way to go. red and black all the way!

Quick Reply: Finished Painting and Overhauling my F3