CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

F3 Wont start! Must pop start barely runs Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:31 AM
July 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks haha I know it equals 320$....... I was wondering if its a fair price but I dont think it is at all. Im just going to try to do it myself if it comes to it Ill just bring it to the shop

Old 07-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Konamtbdjc
Thanks haha I know it equals 320$....... I was wondering if its a fair price but I dont think it is at all. Im just going to try to do it myself if it comes to it Ill just bring it to the shop
I wasn't trying to be a smarta$$. My feelings on shops for anything is I use them for something I can't do myself. You won't see me dragging my laptop to Geek Squad ever. I'll take my bike to the shop for new tires since I can't do that myself. But my gf will be right behind me with the new tires in the trunk of her VW.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:25 PM

Carbs you can do yourself. You don't even need any funky tools, unless you're balancing. There are EXCELLENT guides on this site with GREAT pics, so you can see where everything goes. The only reason you'd take it to a shop is if youre time is worth more than $320, and you'd be glad to pay someone that just so you don't blow your weekend on somethign you don't really care to learn. That is your personal decision.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:04 PM

I know you werent its fine i was just saying.
And about the carbs, I got alll the way to the point of loosening up the carb boots. Idk how im supposed to get to them. I know a long screw driver, but even the first one the screw is pointed towards the middle of the engine.

So I put everything back together, did oil, oil filter, fresh gas plus added some stabilizer carb cleaner thing that works really good, and pop started it. (this is talking from my last attempt at like three pm today i had it running prior to this i just had to take a break and i never tried to actually shift and drive it)

Choke was all the way on, kept the throttle at about four thousand for a couple minutes, I know thats prolly bad, but I wanted to get it warm and listen for weird sounds. It does not back fire or shoot flames like it did a few days ago, so i was happy about that.

I put it in first and drove down the driveway, gave it some gas prolly eight thousand maybe less i was cruising till fourth gear then it died. Tried to pop start it again, lost alot of battery, had to push it alll the way back to my driveway and park it then my dad and i had to push it up my hill in the pouring rain since i just got home. just got it back in the garage about twenty minutes ago.

So now im pretty sure its just the battery, and i def have/want to change the spark plugs. If anyone reads this can someone tell me how to change the spark plugs? And if i can get the tool at a hardware store?

And check it out this is the second day ive owned it

Attached Thumbnails F3 Wont start! Must pop start barely runs Help-others-011.jpg   F3 Wont start! Must pop start barely runs Help-others-013.jpg  
Old 07-29-2009, 10:10 PM

And about the time issue, it really didnt even take that long to disassemble everything and get down the the carbs, even tho I didnt actually take them off because i couldnt get to the boots, and i allready had the gas tank off the night before. And im not even sure if its the carbs im sure they need to be cleaned, but it ran good today just died on me because im pretty sure its just the battery.
And the spark plugs can someone help me on that?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Konamtbdjc
I know you werent its fine i was just saying.
And about the carbs, I got alll the way to the point of loosening up the carb boots. Idk how im supposed to get to them. I know a long screw driver, but even the first one the screw is pointed towards the middle of the engine.

So I put everything back together, did oil, oil filter, fresh gas plus added some stabilizer carb cleaner thing that works really good, and pop started it. (this is talking from my last attempt at like three pm today i had it running prior to this i just had to take a break and i never tried to actually shift and drive it)

Choke was all the way on, kept the throttle at about four thousand for a couple minutes, I know thats prolly bad, but I wanted to get it warm and listen for weird sounds. It does not back fire or shoot flames like it did a few days ago, so i was happy about that.

I put it in first and drove down the driveway, gave it some gas prolly eight thousand maybe less i was cruising till fourth gear then it died. Tried to pop start it again, lost alot of battery, had to push it alll the way back to my driveway and park it then my dad and i had to push it up my hill in the pouring rain since i just got home. just got it back in the garage about twenty minutes ago.

So now im pretty sure its just the battery, and i def have/want to change the spark plugs. If anyone reads this can someone tell me how to change the spark plugs? And if i can get the tool at a hardware store?

And check it out this is the second day ive owned it
Get a battery charger before running out and getting a new battery. It's almost a requirement (so you'll eventually end up buying one). And it'll let you find out if it's the battery vs an electrical issue before you go waste cash on a battery. Only to get the same results.

Or take it to a Pepboys / Autozone and have them check it. If its good and they can charge it, put it back in the bike and see how it goes for a week or two. A wiring issue would cause a brand new battery to act like it's screwed, which would be a waste of cash. Battery checks / charges are free

Old 07-29-2009, 10:19 PM

I have a battery charger. Its 2amps and ten amp charger. I charge the battery up before i try to use the bike, and it eventually just dies down after about five minutes if i keep trying to pop start it, and if i use the High beam and things like that. So i charge it up again (2amps sometimes 10 for thirty minutes) try it again and it dies in five minutes or so. What do you think?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 PM

A wiring issue? The guy before me said he was riding it every day a year ago, and it would start and everything in the morning with some choke.

And now that i have it im just having an issue with the battery losing its charge.
Hopefully its not a wiring issue because that would be really hard to fix obviously.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:33 AM

It's not a wiring issue.

Get a new battery, and make sur eyou charge it overnight before you first use it. If it still has problems, it's your R/R.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:52 PM

in the pictures your petcock is in the off position. mine will run for a few minutes in the off position then die...

Quick Reply: F3 Wont start! Must pop start barely runs Help